Six

Brendan watched May from the top of the stairs. They'd taken the Team Aqua woman up to the spare room, which used to be Brendan's. May silently waited at the bottom step, staring out of the open door and towards the sun setting over the glistening ocean. He was trying to wrap his brain around the whole situation. May was barely speaking to him. The last thing she said was 'she knows'. He had gathered that something had happened that May didn't want him to know about. Maybe she ran into her while they battled Team Aqua throughout their journey? He just couldn't work out why she was so upset, so afraid, so guilty.

He wanted to console her but May clearly wanted to be alone. Although he felt like he had a duty to be there for her he also wanted to respect her privacy. They didn't really have any privacy considering their situation. He wouldn't take the little time she had to herself alone. He was also worried he would make things worse. She would come to him when she needed too. He'd hoped.

Brendan took a step back and glanced through the doorframe leading to the spare room and towards the Team Aqua woman sleeping comfortably in the bed. She was older than him by about half a decade. Curly and messy red hair. She was covered in scars and all sorts of damage. Her Pokémon was down and out. Brendan didn't expect to hear from the Pokémon for atleast the next day. It must have flown hundreds of miles to be that tired.

In a way, Brendan was glad that this woman had arrived. Even though she was the enemy, she was another human being. Another survivor. Which meant there must be more people out there. He'd given up all hope to find any of his friends or family, but now, a little spark had just lite up inside him.

The house was silent for the next hour, May had barely breathed for the last three. Her hands were shaking, her legs jumping up and down. Whenever Brendan came near May clutched her knees to stop them, but she could only hide it for so long, if she was even hiding her pain from Brendan. She interlocked her fingers and pushed them against her chin and mouth. Taking a breath she stood up and pulled her red tank top down. Glancing around the house she searched for Brendan but couldn't find him.

"You." A dark and vicious voice called out to her from the top of the stairs. May turned to face the woman. "You remember me, don't you. May." The way she said her name, it was full of hatred.

"I didn't mean too." May mumbled out.

"Doesn't matter." The woman replied, her voice sinister. Her hands formed fists and she slowly stepped down towards May who felt more terrified with every squeak the wooden stairs made. "You know what they say. An eye for an eye."

She was about to leap at her but Brendan appeared, his eyes gazing towards them in confusion. "Oh. You're awake."

The woman stopped and smiled. "Yes. I am." She turned to May slowly and glared at her but Brendan didn't notice. "I'm, Sally." She smirked at him.

"Brendan." He replied. "And this is May."

"We've met." Sally got to the bottom of the stairs, the turned to Brendan and gave him a cheeky wink. "Isn't that right?"

"Sure." May mumbled back, trailing off.

"I've made some food, if you want some." Brendan interrupted the two, clearly sensing the tension. "You both must be hungry." He gestured towards the kitchen and Sally nodded respectfully, heading past Brendan but accidentally bushing against his chest as she moved into the kitchen. Brendan stared at the floor then to May, shrugging towards her, but she was to full of guilt to be jealous, or So she told herself.

Brendan and May entered into the kitchen together. Brendan wrapped his hands around Mays fragile fingers and squeezed them gently. He moved his lips close to her ear and whispered "I love you." She didn't respond verbally but she wrapped her fingers around his and clutched his hands before letting go and taking a seat at the table opposite Sally.