Seven

Brendan didn't know if he regretted what he had said to May. All he know was that she'd lied to him. Betrayed him. Caused the whole world to suffer. Potentially killing millions, even billions through her actions. He did know one thing though. He wasn't going to stay here.

The last few months they spent together, they all felt sour. She'd lied to him, maybe even manipulated him into being with her. Although he loved there little house, his love for her was dying every second. Like humanity lost the world, she'd lost him.

"You ready?" Sally asked. The woman looked happy to leave but the tension and atmosphere had clearly made her uneasy. She kept looking back to the house, watching and waiting for May to appear. But she didn't. May held up in her room. Brendan hadn't said a word to her since he told her that he 'should have let her die'. She hadn't said a word to him. She just watched him as he left the crying heap of mess which was May Birch.

"Lights fading. We have to go, Brendan." Sally looked almost apologetic as she jumped onto the Pelipper's back. "Have you changed your mind?"

"No." Brendan eventually replied. His voice was angry, sad, lifeless. Without another word, without another glance towards May looking out the bedroom window, Brendan jumped onto the Pelippers back and it began to fly into the air. He felt he should give May one last look. He know she would be watching. And yet he didn't. He couldn't. Looking at her would just hurt them both right now. She didn't deserve it. And yet. He felt guilty. But only for a second.

---

Brendan watched the seemingly endless sea. The world he'd grown to love so much. The forests, the trees, the routes littered and stuffed full to the brim with Pokemon. All was gone. Extinguished. Erased by a sea which covered the once green region. There wasn't any birds, there wasn't any mountains, there wasn't any islands. It was just water, water everywhere, covering everything.

It was getting darker every second. The water changed from a beautiful light blue to a Moonlite almost purple. Brendan made out the odd Tentacruel and Goldeen in the water but even they would struggled to survive in the primal storms.

Sally was concentrating on their destination. Brendan had learned that she came from a small settlement of survivors, most who lived in the mountains and had flying Pokémon had managed to escape the rising waters and horrific storms. She kept quiet most of the time, and when she did talk Brendan didn't reply. He was thinking or trying to not think. He just wanted to reach dry land. He would soon get his wish.

In the distance he could see a small landmass, about half a mile across either side. It was lite up by torches and Brendan could make out little tents and wooden shacks around the lights, as well as a small group of people and Pokémon. It felt like forever to get down there. Brendan could feel himself sweating and shaking as the lights and people grew bigger and bigger. Activity swelled as they approached the ground.

The Pelipper landed with a bang. It was exhausted after it's long flight. Brendan gave it a gentle stroke and thanked it as he disembarked onto dry land for the first time in hours. Sally waved at a few people and ran off with them, leaving Brendan alone. People watched and stared at him, some may have even recognised him as an up and coming Trainer.

However, a single man had approached Brendan. He was large, short and had a large white beard. Brendan recognised him as he came closer into the light. "Wattson?" Brendan called out towards the man. His white beard was much longer, his eyes frail and weak. He looked like the energy coursing through his veins had failed to keep working. He was tired and old but still managed to form a small smile towards Brendan.

"Brendan, you returned to us." Wattson's voice was quiet but cheerful. "I'm so pleased."

"Thank you," Brendan replied. "How many-"