Chapter 18

"Luna!" Sylvia called down the sidewalk as she watched her go by. "Luna please, don't ignore me. I-I want to apologize!"

Luna stopped, turning to her with an exasperated expression. "Why are you doing this?"

Sylvia was crying. Tears were spilling down her face and her shirt was soaked. The hair that fell over her ice blue eyes was sticking to itself from her tears. "Luna..."

"You can hide behind tears all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that what you're doing is wrong."

"I-I know..."

"So why? Why did you do all this?"

"I-I don't know. I couldn't tell you. Ever since I discovered I was a telepath, or whatever it is, my mind's been a mess, and then he started talking to me. Telling me what to do. Forcing me to do it. And, and..." she sighed. "For the longest time, I've had feelings for you. My whole family told me it was wrong and what friends I had dropped me quicker than I could blink. Everything told me my feelings were wrong, unnatural. I've just been so alone... I didn't know what to do, I started listening to his voice and he told me to go after Lloyd. To get him away from you and from Lily. I didn't question it because I was scared... and I wanted the feelings to go away... I'm really sorry, I never wanted any of you to get hurt."

Luna blinked, staring wide-eyed at the girl that had been tormenting her for so long. Tears were flowing softly down Sylvia's face. "Sylvia..." Luna's voice caught in her throat as she choked out her name.

"If I couldn't have you, I would have him." Sylvia continued, staring at the ground. "But I realize how I hurt you, how I hurt all of you, and for that I am deeply sorry. I won't ask for forgiveness since I don't deserve it, but I just want you to know, I'm done messing up your lives because I already messed up mine."

"Sylvia..." Luna tried again, but the other girl had already started to walk away, rubbing at her eyes and hiding under her blanket of almost white hair.

Luna followed her down the sidewalk, catching her arm. "Sylvia, I do forgive you. I trust you, okay? Just promise me one thing."

"Anything," Sylvia's eyes were wide and full of hope, the icy shade lightening making her look almost like a ghost. The single word she spoke was airy and as hope-filled as her eyes.

"Don't lie to me. Can you do that? I want to know that I should trust you."

Sylvia nodded, swiping at her face. "Luna, I promise, I won't lie to you. I promise that you can trust me."

Luna nodded in response, thinking for a moment. Sylvia's arm slipped from her loose grip as she stared at her. "Come to my party."

"What?"

"Come to my party. Eve will have the invite info and I would love for you to be there too," Luna gave her a soft smile.

"W-why?"

"I want you there. If we're going to move on, we're going to do it right. I'll see you there?"

Sylvia gaped at her. "S-sure, yeah, I'll be there."

"Good." Luna walked back over to her friends, turning her back to Sylvia.

Sylvia shook her head, unsure of what had just transpired. She took small steps until she was far from the group, letting her thoughts run wild.

Luna stepped back towards her friends, slumping down against Trae. "Sylvia's coming to the party," she muttered, digging her head into his shoulder as her burst of energy dissipated.

He looked surprised, wrapping his arms around her to keep her from falling. "Luna, are you okay? What happened? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said against his shirt. "I'm just tired. And Sylvia's coming to the party."

"You already said that," Lloyd said with an empty tone. "Why is she coming exactly?"

Trae led Luna to a bench, letting her lean on his arm while she spoke. "She just apologized. She's scared. She's alone. She needs friends. I get it if you guys don't want to talk to her, but I want to help her."

"You are aware that she's the reason you ended up in the hospital?" Trae studied her expression.

"I know," Luna sighed. "But no one deserves to be alone. And I want to help her. Somehow."

"Why?" Lloyd asked, his tone harsh. "After everything she did, why do you want to help her?"

"Because, she deserves it."

"Okay," Lloyd said after a pause. "I'll respect that. Just make sure she stays very far away from me."

Luna nodded. "You got it."

"So your birthday party is in two days, you invited the girl who sent you to the hospital, and we still don't have a plan?" Razaia said incredulously. "Yeah, that sounds like you two."

Luna grimaced. "Sorry guys. I think I have an idea though."

"No way, I know exactly what you're thinking of." Lloyd said, crossing his arms.

Luna laughed. "Oh come on! The waterfall is perfect!"

"But that's always been our place..." Lloyd whined.

"Exactly. It'll be perfect."

Lloyd groaned. "Fine. but only because I can't think of anything better."

Luna hugged him. "Thanks little bro."

"Don't start calling me that."

"Sorry."

"The question now is how are we going to get everyone there, how we're going to make sure they all turn up, and how we're going to get Harper there, because we all know she'll get herself caught trying to get there whether you invite her or not." Colin said, crossing his arms.

"Right," Trae said. "How are we going to make sure Harper doesn't get herself caught?"

"We'll think of something," Lloyd said.

"Just make a list of people and send out invites tonight, then just buy cake and pizza the morning of, no big deal."

"And tonight," Trae touched a finger to her nose. "You need to get some sleep. I don't want you passing out anywhere."

"I'm fine, I promise."