twenty-seven

"So you know me." He backs up and leans against the table, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Everyone knows you," I reply, still stunned that the Dr. Ivanov is standing in front of me. "I studied you, your theories, all throughout high school, and I caught your TV show a couple of times."

"Just a couple? Not interesting enough for you?" he jests.

"Hardly. My parents never let me watch television. I had to watch your show at my friend's house, and she's not that interested in science, hence only a couple of times."

"I see. Well your fascination with my work must have amused your parents, or completely worried them."

"My parents? How so?"

A small chuckle leaves his lips, but I let his odd comment go. I figure he's used to people thinking he's a lunatic, that's what the government made him out to be, so he must assume my parents felt the same way.

"I still can't believe this. It's such a pleasure to meet you, sir."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ever Attwood."

"Why does everyone keep calling me that?"

"Because that's your name."

"Look, no disrespect, but I'm really confused and that Kelly guy said he was taking me to someone who could provide me with answers. Is that you? Because I'm nearing the end of my rapidly fraying rope."

He laughs again. This time it annoys me.

"They said you were spunky."

I give him my best irritated look with my eyes and he knows I mean business.

"Very well then. I suppose the time for pleasantries has come and gone." He stands up from his position against the table and claps his hands. "Let's get to it then, shall we?"

"Please," I say.

He pulls a chair over and sits in front of me at a distance that is uncomfortably close. It has been my experience that those in the science community often don't understand appropriate social nuances. Too much time in the lab, I would guess. I try to back myself up slightly, but thanks to that irritating Kelly boy, the wheels on my chair are locked in place.

"How much do you know about your mother and father's lives before you and your siblings were born?" he inquires.

It's a weird question, but I decide to indulge him. If it means getting some answers to my questions, I'll play along.

"I know they met in college," I say. "I know they fell in love quickly. My mother always said that one of the things she loved most about my father was that she knew from the beginning that he would be a fantastic dad. She always wanted a big family." I don't know why I share the information with him, but it feels good to remember them.

"That's right, she did. But she wasn't able to."

"What do you mean? She had me, my sister and my brother. I'd say that's a pretty decent size family."

"It is, but it isn't the quantity that I was referring to: it's the fact that she couldn't have a family, at least not on her own. She had help."

"Help?"

"Your mother desperately wanted kids. She and your father tried for years, but were unsuccessful. That's when Environettix approached them."

"Environettix? Why do I know that name?" I search my brain, and he waits for me to figure it out on my own. Then it hits me. "Isn't that the company that's always doing all that environmental stuff to fight global warming? Yeah, yeah," I say, as it comes back to me. "Didn't they design all the bunkers for the public school systems?"