Stolen

Hazel wiped the forehead of Aiden who was resting, and made sure to stitch his arm wound closed and used the alcohol Eric had to cleanse the wounds. She noticed the faded scar above his left brow and was curious about it. She admitted he was handsome but thought Henry better looking. She remembered the joy she had felt when she had learned that Isabella was alive and she also recalled the panic she felt when Isabella was locked in that horrid cell. She shuddered and mentally promised to convince Isabella to try to get to know and eventually fall for Aiden. He looks like he'd be good for her.

Her musings were interrupted with a creaking sound. She glanced down to check Aiden, whose chest rose and fell as he slumbered. She leaned down and checked his forehead when she fell back with the movement of the carriage. "Why are we moving?" She yelled, panicking. Hazel straightened herself and Aiden's lulling head. She snapped her fingers in his face and shook him. Lord, what was his name again? Austin? August? Aiden? Aiden! That is it! "Aiden! Aiden! Wake up! We are moving!" He did not budge. She huffed and tried grabbing his heavy arm and tugging him up but fell back as the carriage rocked. She pushed her hair out of her face in frustration. She looked around for something and noticed the alcohol.

She grabbed it, took a quick, for surely she needed it, and dumped the contents on Aiden's face. Aiden shot up spluttering she lay back groaning because of his arm. "Aiden."

"Eric I swear..." He murmured.

"Not Eric, Hazel. Your friend Eric left you here with me." Aiden opened his mouth to speak but paused.

"Is he driving us somewhere because he cannot drive a carriage he--"

"No! 'Tis not Eric driving us."

Aiden's eyes opened and he sat up at the panic in her eyes. "Henry?" She shook her head. Aiden shook his head in confusion. "Then who..." it dawned on him, "refugee."

Hazel nodded nervously, "was probably trying to escape and took what he thought was an abandoned carriage. Aiden nodded and stood up groaning.

He steadied himself and palmed his dagger. "He stole the wrong carriage"

******

"It was right here." Eric scratched his head in confusion.

"Where is he Eric?" Isabella asked trying not to panic. Eric briefed her in on the shape Aiden was in, she was worried.

"Tracks! A trail leads south."

"Henry, bring me Storm." He nodded and jogged to the stables. "Hurry." She whispered.

She paced waiting for Henry when her father rode up on a Jarian horse. "A yardsmen told me that he saw Baldwin. He was last seen running and climbing onto a carriage and riding away. Could it--"

"It couldn't--, he couldn't have..." she growled, "He did. He stole the carriage Hazel and an injured Aiden were in. How much of a simpleton can he be? Father, I will go after them." William hopped down and Isabella climbed on and spurred the horse on. "Will you follow on Storm?" William nodded so she rode away following the trail at full sprint.

******

"What are we to do?" Hazel asked him almost feint. Aiden could not help but be a tad bit annoyed at the female before him. Unlike Isabella, she was thin where Isabella had curves. She was slim where Isabella was muscular. She was panicking when Isabella would have fought.

He sighed and told her annoyed, "It will do us no good if you were to faint, first, please calm down. Do we have any other weaponry?"

"Only Henry's dagger he gave me earlier." Aiden held his hand out for it and she quickly fetched it. He took it and glanced out of the window. He took in the changing the scenery and how fast it was passing. The carriage rocked on the bumpy path.