Chapter 44 - Rallying Cry

"Now then," said the voice of Helios, from everywhere at once, "the two of you were saying you had come around to my way of thinking."

Decker tried to regain his composure really quick. He also tried not to stare at the prone body of Helios as he spoke to her. His eyes disagreed with this course of action.

"I don't want to split hairs about it but what we were saying is that we were always on your side philosophically speaking," said Decker. "Then things got all sprelled up and it really wasn't anyone's fault."

"It was your fault but I don't blame you," said Ophelia.

"It doesn't matter whose fault it was," added Decker.

"I'm not so arrogant that I can't admit I may have been mistaken," said Helios. "Being so close to such a monumental goal may have made me overcautious. However I can't yet be sure you're telling me the truth. This is also exactly the story you'd come up with if you were just looking to get close to me to try and kill me."

"Well, I mean, come on," said Ophelia. "If we wanted to kill you we would have done it back when you were distracted with the Old Ones. All your attention was focused outside of the Heptagon, your discarded body was sitting right there," Ophelia pointed at it, "we were still wearing our Suits. If we wanted to kill you we'd have to be pretty stupid to pass up that opportunity. We'd have to be unfathomably, unforgivably stupid. Just mindless insect people walking around reacting to chemicals without any inner life or ability to reason."

"Very clever Squire," said Helios. "That's exactly why I did it. I wanted to see if you'd make a move while you thought I was distracted. I wouldn't have gone well for you; I'm certain I can react more quickly than you."

"You believe us then?" Ophelia asked.

"I'm coming around," replied Helios. "Of course I'll want to give you both deep mind scans as soon as I have the bandwidth to spare to verify your loyalty but I'm willing to extend you the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm finally positioned to be more generous with my trust. Just don't do anything that looks suspicious or I might have to atomize you."

Decker and Ophelia were too scared to exchange a look.

"So you're going to be in command of A.R.C. now, right?" asked Decker. "Centralize control like during the War. That would be the best way to assert your authority over the human race with the least amount of disruption."

"Thank you, Squire, but I have a plan already. I don't need yours."

"But you're going to do it, right?" asked Decker. "Which means for all intents and purposes you're the head of A.R.C. I point this out only because I think Ophelia and I deserve the be promoted to full rangers."

Helios laughed.

"I'll consider it once I'm actually in command."

"I think you might be already, though, you just don't realize it," said Decker. "Consider the display of power the destruction of that Old One fleet represents. No one is going to question your ability to do what you say you can do. All you'll have to do is announce yourself and you'll be able to assert command over A.R.C. without firing a single shot."

"You are still very naive," said Helios. "There would always be dissenters. Bloodshed would be inevitable. I do think you have a point in the broad strokes, however. I should give those who would be most loyal to me the chance to show themselves by announcing my accomplishment. It would be good to know who the rangers are that instantly obey my call."

Using some power yet unknown to the laws of physics Helios sent out a message to every A.R.C. mothership in an instant, without the signal actually traversing the intervening space.

"It is done," she said. "Now we shall see who answers."

* * *

The Sic Semper Tyrannis was in charge of the Home/Click-*-Click-*-Click-Click operation. This made it the closest ship and naturally the first to arrive. It dropped down into the system from hyperspace with a visible urgency.

"The Sic Semper Tyrannis has arrived. Let's test how accurate your prediction was," said Helios.

"What are you going to do?" asked Decker.

Helios didn't reply. Apparently her attention was taken communicating with the Tyrannis.

Ophelia tried to motion with her eyes for Decker to blow them all up. Decker tried to signal for her to stop looking suspicious with his own eyes. Neither felt they had been understood.

There was a long uncomfortable silence. Ophelia glared at Decker the whole time. He was really going to squander a second opportunity.

What a coward.

Decker looked away.

"It's just like I said," said Helios' voice, suddenly. "No matter how obvious the rightness of your position it's never that easy. The Dragons are being stubborn. I should have predicted that much. That sprelling ship will act as a figurehead for all the rangers that will oppose me. The Ship With The Unnecessarily Long Name That All Kinds Of People Are Going To Be Inconvenienced By will be here soon. Once it arrives I might destroy the Sic Semper Tyrannis in front of them. That should make my position clear."

"Before you resort to that, do you think I could try talking to them?" asked Decker. "That's my lodge, I understand how they think a little better. I can make them understand."

"If you like," said Helios. "Do not attempt to betray me; it won't get you anywhere but dead."

This is it, thought Decker.

A screen like the one he had watched the space battle on appeared in front of Decker. On it was the image of a very angry looking Lodge Mistress. She glowered with an intensity and authority that immediately made Decker feel even more uncomfortable than he already was. He wouldn't have thought that possible a minute ago.

"You're involved in this too?" she hissed. "Take off that insignia. I'm washing you out myself. You are no Neutronium Dragon."

"I know this is all very sudden, but don't make any snap decisions," said Decker. "What Ranger Helios is proposing is perfectly in keeping with all of our oaths. We can fulfill them more properly from a position of power than we can from a position of weakness. We shouldn't fear Inxon technology we should make its strength our own."

"Take. Off. The insignia," the Lodge Mistress snarled.

"Look, this ship we're in, or whatever it is? It has walls made of sculpted space/time. It is invulnerable. It doesn't even require shields! Do you understand? There is nothing you can do to stand against power like this and you have no reason to. This accomplishes everything A.R.C. has ever set out to accomplish and more. The choice is either to embrace it or be destroyed. That's not much of a choice."

The Lodge Mistress seemed almost amused by the absurdity of what Decker had said.

"Neither I nor any other Neutronium Dragon will ever bow to such a tyrant. It's in the name of the ship. If you were ever one of us you would have known that."

"More fool you then," said Decker.

The Sic Semper Tyrannis cut the transmission. The floating window collapsed in on itself.

"Do you see?" asked Helios. "They've put themselves in this situation. Their fate is inevitable."

He failed. Decker gave himself every chance to change things but he wasn't able to do it. Now there really was only one remaining option.

He was going to have to use the antimatter.