24. Snape's Suspicions

Y/N's POV

We followed him downstairs, trying to wipe our hands clean on the inside of our robes without Snape noticing. We walked down the stairs to the dungeons and then into Snape's office.

"Sit," said Snape.

We sat. Snape, however, remained standing.

"Mr Malfoy has just been to see me with two strange stories," said Snape.

I didn't say anything.

Snape explained Malfoy's story whilst I racked my brain for excuses.

"I think he's hallucinating sir." I said.

"Malfoy is not having hallucinations," snarled Snape, "you were both in Hogsmeade!"

"We've been up in Gryffindor Tower," said Harry, "like you told-"

"Can anyone confirm that?"

We didn't say anything. Snape's thin mouth curled into a horrible smile.

"So," he said, straightening up again, "everyone from the Minister of Magic downward has been trying to keep famous Harry Potter and Mister Y/N L/N safe from Sirius Black. But the two boys go where they want to, with no thought for the consequences."

We stayed silent.

"How extraordinarily like both your fathers you are," Snape said suddenly, his eyes glinting, "they too were exceedingly arrogant. A small amount of talent on the Quidditch field made them think they were a cut above the rest of us too. Strutting around the place with their friends and admirers...the resemblance between you all is uncanny."

"My dad didn't strut." I said before I could stop myself. "And neither do I."

"Both your fathers didn't care for rules either," Snape went on, pressing his advantage, his thin face full of malice. "rules were for lesser mortals, not Quidditch Cup winners. Their heads were so swollen-"

"SHUT UP!" I yelled, I still wasn't sure whether he was talking about Sirius or my father. Either way, I hated him disrespecting them.

"What did you say to me, L/N?"

"I told you to shut up about my dad, Harry's as well!" I shouted. "I know the truth, all right? Harry's dad saved your life! Dumbledore told me! You wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for his dad!"

"And did the Headmaster tell you the circumstances in which your father saved my life?" he whispered. "Or did he consider the details too unpleasant for precious Potter and L/N's delicate ears?"

Neither of us knew the whole story and Snape seemed to of picked up on that.

"I would hate for you to run away with a false idea of your father, Potter." he said, a terrible grin twisting his face. "Have you been imagining some act of glorious heroism? Then let me correct you, your saintly father and his friends, including your father L/N, played a highly amusing joke on me that would have resulted in my death if your father hadn't got cold feet at the last moment. There was nothing brave about what he did. He was saving his own skin as much as mine. Had their joke succeeded, all of them would have been expelled from Hogwarts."

Me and Harry looked uncomfortably at the floor.

"Turn out your pockets, both of you!" he spat suddenly.

We didn't move.

"Turn out your pockets, or we go straight to the Headmaster! Pull them out!"

Cold with dread, Harry slowly pulled out the bag of Zonko's tricks and I pulled out the Marauder's Map.