Chapter 10 - Meet The King

I was playing with my hands nervously as Scarlett helped me with my hair. I was sat on the floor of my room, Scarlett was on the bed, high enough to reach my head. Coal was setting up my suitcase with everything I might need for the trip.

- Can't he just snap his fingers and we would be there? I saw Alwin do it, a chair appeared out of nowhere. Can't we just magically appear for the Ball and reappear back here when it's done? – the questions came out in a nervous jumbled breath.

- What are you talking about? Of course not. It doesn't work on living creatures – Coal admonished, shaking his furry head.

- Right. Silly me – I exhaled. – I just didn't know we had to go and stay there overnight. I was hoping we could just go and come back in the same day.

My concerns were higher than ever. My hands were crumpling the hem of my crimson dress subconsciously. It was a simple A-line dress, down to just below my knees, with three quarters poet sleeves and a square neckline. I chose it because it was elegant and modest, hiding my big arms and thighs, but still very feminine. Because the occasion called for it, I decided to put on some high-heels with ankle straps black shoes, hoping I wouldn't have to walk a lot today.

Leaving my neck bare, I opted to go for some big pearls on my earrings, with golden hoops surrounding them. The white and gold contrasted well with my wavy chestnut hair that Scarlett was now trying to pull into a French braid. Some strands were already falling, but they seemed to frame my round chubby face naturally.

- All done – I heard Scarlett announce, slipping out of the bed. – Finally – she added in a huff.

I looked in the mirror, trying to see her work.

- It looks perfect, Scarlett. Thank you.

- The luggage is also ready, Miss – Coal informed, but then opened a drawer and pulled out some loose containers with colorful substances inside. – Ah, I almost forgot this.

- Don't you want to put some on now, Tina? – Scarlett asked me, picking one that had a red substance.

- I never saw those before. What is it?

- It's for your lips and eyes – Scarlett seemed admired I didn't know.

- Like make-up? – I was truly surprised. I didn't think they would have that here. I tried to pick one that had a sparkly red, but they both yelled at me.

- That's for eyes! – they barked, and I removed my hand quickly.

- Sorry, sorry!

- Here, put this one on your lips. It will compliment your look. – Scarlett handed me the red container on her hand.

I took some of its' content and dabbed on my lips. I was pleasantly shocked at the pigment. My full lips popped a lot more now.

- Now you look ready to meet the King – Coal declared, satisfied.

- I really wished I didn't have to – I confessed in a whisper.

Hirsute hands squeezed mine and I looked down at a preoccupied Coal, large grey eyes staring worryingly at me.

- Don't trust anyone over there – he warned. – And stay close to our Master at all times. Be cautious and it will be over before you know it.

- Always be respectful and cordial, especially to the King – Scarlett cautioned. – And don't be afraid, Tina. Be brave.

Overwhelmed by their warm words and kindness, I suppressed the tears and bent down to hug them both. Coal patted my back and Scarlett didn't really know how to react, becoming tense.