chapter 64: hershey bars

" Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a wounded soul

" Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a wounded soul." 

- Steve Maraboli

***

Charlotte hurried up the stairs, her achy legs prevailing will no relief as she grimaced with each step. She came into the blast of warmth, and smiled when she saw Luz there.

" Hey Luz." she said gently, her hoarse voice coming out, and making Luz look up quickly.

" What the hell you doing out of bed, sunshine?" he asked, unloading a box of sweets. She eyed them, her eyes wandering to the Hershey bars.

" Nothing important." she mumbled.

" Hey look at you, Sarge. " George said, pointing with a Juicy Fruit packet to her chevron. She smiled brightly, and held her head up high.

" Like it?" she asked.

" It's a beauty, Charlotte." he said, and she knew it was genuine. " And you're a beauty in that beanie, sunshine." Charlotte's cheeks flamed as she suppressed a smile to Luz.

" Thanks, I try." she said back, smirking lightly in his direction. Luz winked as a pair of footsteps traveled in and the two turned from the stockpile of candy to see that it was Johnny, with Cobb on his tail.

" George what the hell you doing with all that candy?" Johnny exclaimed, taking off his helmet and ruffling his hair a bit, still wet from the shower.

" Inventory. Not for you, Johnny." Luz said, smacking a group of candy into the box.

" One bar." muttered Cobb.

" Just a bar, George." Johnny said, as Charlotte sighed, and took a seat on a chair nearby, suddenly exhausted.

" Godammit, Johnny, you're breaking my heart." Luz muttered, placing the packs of candy into their appropriate sections. " I'm telling you." Charlotte pulled a small box of medical supplies into her lap on the comfy chair next to George's sorting station and began sorting through it.

" Come on, George, just give me, I don't know, 10, 15 bars. " Martin urged again, casually leaning against George's 'sorting station'.

" Here you go." Luz said, smacking a small package in front of him, as Vest came in with another box, " Juicy Fruit, happy?" Martin willingly took it.

" We just got a report of movement. 1st Sergeant Lipton wants you to lay a few bazooka rounds into a house across the river." Vest explained.

" You'd think we could get at least one Hershey Bar from the-"

" Come on Luz, you're 1st platoon at heart." Cobb gripped at the radioman.