chapter 97: the wedding

" It's not the goodbye that hurts, it's the flashbacks that follow

" It's not the goodbye that hurts, it's the flashbacks that follow."

- unknown

***

( a/n ) hey!! this will be my last post of 2019, and all i can say is that i've never been more thankful for all of my readers this year and everyone that has encouraged me to continue this story and to post it for people to read. i've received so much positive feedback about the story and my oc charlotte and it's never made me happier. this has been such a great thing to write throughout the year and with all the happy things people message me or comment about just makes me full of gratitude and happiness to know that whatever i'm writing has made an impact on people. i can't thank you all enough for the impact you've all also had on me. i wish you all a happy new year and that you have a fun-filled year ahead for yourselves!! you're all so lovely! thank you again for this amazing year and let's hope for a great 2020! 

***

The morning of Thanksgiving, Charlotte woke with a smile, as Oliver ran into her room, wagging his tail, as the wind blew outside, rustling the leaves on the ground. She stood up and raced downstairs to eat homemade cinnamon rolls by her mother, and drink the tea her father had made for the family. And it was an enjoyable morning as the Tarvers family listened to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade like tradition since 1934. Her grandparents came over that evening and the Tarvers enjoyed their meal as a family. 

The entire family noticed how the young girl didn't each much, taking about 1/8 of what the rest of the family ate, and still seeming satisfied. She was still getting used to the feeling of eating big meals. The big topic of discussion though, centered around Louis and Caroline's wedding coming up in a week in a half. It was going to be held at a venue on the Potomac River, in Washington DC, where Louis would be donning his uniform. He invited a few friends from his unit as well over there, and mostly everyone they had asked to attend were able to make it. In the following week leading up to the wedding, 

Charlotte finished up the majority of her school work and testing that would be due that Monday of the wedding, and Tuesday, when she'd be missing school. John had stopped her in the hallway at school again, asking if she wanted to go to dinner some time, but she had nicely answered that she had a lot of work on the farm to do, and that her school work was piling up, which was still true in all honesty. 

Caroline had gone with all her friends to get her wedding dress, and bridesmaids dresses, and she had asked Charlotte and Lucie to come along as well, and that Charlotte could be a bridesmaid, and Lucie, the flower girl. The two girls happily tagged along, and loved talking to Caroline's friends. Caroline had always been one of the nicest people in town, yet she was tough and firm when she needed to be, and extremely strong mentally. Charlotte was happy for her brother's marriage to her, and she was excited to celebrate that.