5

For the second time that day, Maeve was more than she thought she was.

Anger bubbled up in her like a volcano about to erupt. "Are you telling me that you just used Mom to get me and Viv?" she demanded, indignation clear in her voice. If he turned out to be a man so shallow and despicable as that...

He laughed again. "Of course not, Maeve," he said.

Good, she thought to herself, relief hardening the lava in her gut. It was only after a few moments that she realized her father had continued speaking, and she caught just the end of his statement.

"--Vivienne never mattered either."

She could not be properly furious until she perfectly understood what her father was saying. To her ears, however, his words were painting a picture that she would like to burn. She wished his voice was something she could just tear out of his throat and rip apart, like a letter she never wanted to read again. More than anything, she hoped that this day really was a dream, but something told her that it was real. Too real.

"Dad, you're not making sense," Mae insisted. Maybe Dael got attacked too! Yes, that would make sense - she needed to get him help right away. "Are the Healers almost here?" 

Her father chortled. "Healers? No Healers are coming, Maeve."

Mae's heart dropped. "You didn't actually get them? Oh my God, I need to find them--" she cried, preparing herself to leap for the front door and sprint. Her father stopped her by holding up a single hand, an eyebrow raised.

"Did you not listen to me before, child? Araminta has but three minutes left to live now. There is no cause for a Healer's presence."

Mae sucked her bottom lip into her mouth, chewing it desperately. Unbidden tears sparked in her eyes as she glared up at the man she wished she had another title for. 

"You should have brought them here before, then! You doomed her! You may as well have killed her yourself!" Maeve screeched. 

Dael didn't respond right away, just cocked his head slightly with a smirk on his face. Mae gagged when she realized why the sight seemed so familiar - her father was blinking like an insect, cocking his head as if she was a different species he had to study. He reminded her of Kroma.

He reminded her of a warlock.

The door flew open beside them and Viv stepped out, her eyes red. She rubbed at them with fists, reminding Mae of a tired child.

"What was all that screaming for, Mae?" she wondered. 

Mae opened her mouth to reply, but her father beat her to the punch. "Vivienne, would you kindly bring Maeve to her room? She's finding this situation very strenuous; I would like her to lie down."

Vivienne bit her lip and glanced back into their mother's bedroom. "I don't want to leave Mom right now. But Caleb could take her," she suggested, glancing at the young man who had been trying to stick to the shadows. 

Caleb stepped into the hall, his eyes narrowed. Dael didn't even spare him a glance. "Yes, yes, that's fine," he said. With that, he walked back into the room, to his beloved wife's bedside. Vivienne followed, and she frowned at Mae before shutting the door between them.

Instantly, Caleb grabbed her arm and tugged her towards her room. She didn't fight him - she was too surprised, and she trusted him too implicitly to believe she had a reason to - but she was still puzzled by his urgent action. 

He basically shoved her into her room and, after ensuring that the door was locked behind him, turned on her.

"I was listening," he said, getting to the point right away. Mae wilted slightly.