7

Mae just stared at him. "What would the warlocks need me for?" she asked. She found it hard to believe that such a powerful race of people would lay siege to her little city just for her. How would she be of use to them, especially if Folco here had the same ability that she did? Surely there were thousands of warlocks like her, and she doubted that she would be seen as anything but clueless and weak in their minds.

Folco pressed his lips together. "We attempt to find as many magicians in the land as possible. I know that you grew up surrounded by people that fear us, but without us around, there would be chaos. If we did not take away and train the young that are born with powers among you - or rather, among the humans - they would eventually lose control of the magic inside of them. It would bring catastrophe down not just on them, but on everyone that happened to be in their path at the time," he explained.

It made sense, if Mae disregarded any sort of context. She was not about to do any such thing.

"There are humans born with powers?" she wondered. She had never heard of that before.

Folco shrugged. "Not many, but some. There are also those who choose to pursue the dark arts themselves. Most of them are fools, but some of them succeed. In both cases, we warlocks must intervene; either to greet our new brother and put him through proper training so that he does not turn on his own kind, or to put down a mortal who would otherwise cause more harm and strife to the world than any race could afford."

Mae pursed her lips. "That's all well and good, but I'm not stupid. That's not the only reason Kroma is after me," she said. 

She could see how fast Folco was thinking just by watching his eyes. They scanned her quickly and blinked twice in succession. Then they fixed on her steadily, and she felt convinced that he was not about to lie to her.

"We have known about you for a long time, Maeve. Or rather, Kroma has. He has watched you from afar, and now, he has come to claim you. 

"Before it's too late."

                                    ☆★          ☆         ★     ☆ ★        ☆        ★        ☆       ★

Maeve blinked, not comprehending.

"Too late? Why, because my magic is going to burst out of me and kill everyone? That still doesn't explain why he brought an army to Swynborough's gates and tried to blow up my house!" she exclaimed.

She felt her skin prickle as Folco stepped closer to her - they were only about a foot apart now - but she fought the urge to step away. Or maybe she fought the urge to close the distance. She's not sure; she only knew that there were more secrets being kept from her, and she did not like the feeling.

Folco paused in his steps, his eyes narrowing. "That magic wasn't going to hurt you, Maeve. That was the last thing we wanted it to do."

Maeve threw her arms in the air with aggravation. "Well, it came pretty close to hitting me! Why would the warlocks aim for my house if they wanted me to stay out of danger?" she demanded.

The young warlock sucked in his cheek, chewing on it. The action created a dimple that made Mae fight back a smile, even in the grips of her irritation.

"Even if it had directly hit you, it would only have knocked you unconscious. That's why I was put to sleep - to be ready to intercept you, if any of the magic caught you," Folco explained.

"I didn't understand any of that," Mae admitted. She crossed her arms, frustrated that she felt like a fool in front of him. She was worried that he would scoff at her and start acting all superior, or else just be disappointed in her lack of knowledge.