64

Chapter 64: Plum Green to Obtain Plum Wine

Previous | Table of Contents | Next

Xue Dongting nuzzled against him and said cutely, “It didn’t hurt at all. Pinch me again.”

“Mm,” Song Yuming said, and he reached for her waist and gave her a light pinch, causing her to twist around to get away from him. “Not there,” she laughed. “It tickles!”

The man smiled calmly. “Alright, I won’t touch there, I’ll touch somewhere else.”

That night, of course, they made love, all night long until the sixteen-year-old new bride continually pleaded for mercy, then he finally let her rest.

Early the next morning came the explosions of firecrackers, ringing in the new year atmosphere with the black powder from strings of firecrackers wafting into their house. Xue Dongting turned over, changing her position in her husband’s arms, snoring lightly, her hair all disheveled.

Song Yuming was already awake. He pulled the quilt over her ears, afraid the noise from the firecrackers would disturb her. He, however, was very much in the mood to study her, counting her long eyelashes.

It was cold in the little room, but the bed was nice and toasty.

After the time it takes for three incense sticks to burn, a loud bang of firecrackers crackled for a long time and Xue Dongting’s eyelashes fluttered and she slowly opened her eyes, those seductive eyes, still drowsy.

Song Yuming said in a low voice, “Such a long string of firecrackers, must be from Old Zhang’s wife’s place.”

“Mm,” Xue Dongting murmured, and she buried her head in his chest and mumbled, “My legs are sore.”

“I’ll massage them for you.”

And his big hands went probing for her legs and gently kneaded them.

After a while she said, “Is your martial arts good?”

“… It’s alright.”

“What do you mean it’s alright? If it’s good it’s good.”

He couldn’t help laughing. “It’s not that great, because there are many great masters among the jianghu.”

“Oh… Then why did you want to leave the capital? Wouldn’t the throne be pretty easy for you to obtain?”

He thought about it, but didn’t give an answer. Instead, he asked, “So then do you want me to return to the capital?”

She put her arm around his neck and said softly, “No!”

Song Yuming sighed, his eyes drifting to the light filtering through the window paper. “Obtaining the throne and keeping it are neither easy. Person like me, who likes to wander around nature to my heart’s content, I don’t want to give proclamations from the dragon throne, and I don’t want to get involved with endless schemes and intrigues.”

There was much weariness and turbulence in his voice.

Xue Dongting nodded. She knew that feeling, she felt it deeply. The man before her was just like her, once at the center of power and authority, but dazed and wearied by it. They had each left the capital and come out here to the peaceful countryside.

“Yuming, don’t go. I’m not going either. Let’s just spend the rest of our days here, okay?”

An odd look flashed through Song Yuming’s eyes, but he said nothing.

Xue Dongting was slighting taken aback and she held him tight. In hear heart of hearts she was afraid, afraid this man would ultimately leave, afraid that eventually he would return to vie for the glory of his former days.