65

Chapter 65: Making Dumplings

Previous | Table of Contents | Next

In the afternoon, husband and wife took the kneading board inside the bedroom and Xue Dongting made dumpling skins while humming little tunes, while Song Yuming studied the crossbow the man in black had dropped on the ground.

Xue Dongting looked up and glimpsed him absorbed in concentration, and she asked off the top of her head, “What’s so interesting about a crossbow?”

The imperial court has regulations. Men of the jianghu can carry a sabre, but they absolutely are forbidden from using personal crossbows. I’m thinking about where this crossbow came from.”

“Doesn’t seem strange that that man in black could get a crossbow since he was sent by the emperor to kill you.”

“No, this crossbow is crude as hell, and of the oldest style. Anyone using a crossbow like this in the army would not be of very high rank. If His Majesty were going to bestow a crossbow on someone, it would certainly not be this one.”

Xue Dongting cocked her head to the side, thinking. “Then maybe the man in black stole it from a military camp?”

Song Yuming shook his head as if he weren’t sure. “If a crossbow could just be taken like that then the military camp’s security is much too lax. If an enemy made a surprise attack, then the camp would likely be routed in one fell swoop.” His brows were slightly knit, clearly somewhat apprehensive.

Something clicked in Xue Dongting’s mind. She didn’t say anything, but she knew that even though His Highness, Prince Yu, whose great accomplishments for the imperial court overshadowed his ruler, even though he had retired to live in seclusion, there were many things in his heart he was not able to let go of. He might not want the Dragon Throne, but when it came to the lives of the 300,000 cavalry and soldiers and the common people, he could not just brush that aside. Now the emperor was in poor health and the crown prince had taken his woman and was scheming behind the scenes, could Song Yuming really set all that aside and keep to himself out here?

“Why are you staring off into space?”

She snapped out of it and smiled. “No reason, I was just thinking about what Mama Qiao and Yuansheng were eating tonight.”

“Must have scared that girl, Yuansheng, the other day,” Song Yuming said with a wry smile. “I must go back and explain things to Mama Qiao. On the third day I’ll take you back to Cloudgem Lodge. I wonder how bad Yuansheng will scold me!”

“You know how my Mama is, if you bully me you’re just asking for it. And when the time comes, I’m not saying a word in your defense!”

At Cloudgem Lodge, Mama Qiao and Yuansheng were also making dumplings. Yuansheng was complaining as she wrapped them, “Mama Qiao, I don’t like dumplings.”

“Then go make what you like to eat yourself.”

Yuansheng, who couldn’t even make congee, stuck her tongue out and took another dumpling skin and continued wrapping.

Mama Qiao looked at the dumpling filling and became lost in thought.

“What is it, Mama Qiao?”

“I wonder what your Big Sister and Second Sister are eating tonight.”

“Big Sis is eating well for sure. As for Second Sis… That Song Yuming is really bad, he’s always yelling. I hate him the most!”

Mama Qiao made like she was going to slap her and Yuansheng sprang up from the stool and backed away. She said in her defense, “That’s how he is though! That guy is so weird, he made Second Sis cry too.”