Chapter One

*Knock Knock Knock* " Amara you better be up!" My father yells.

As I get up very slowly I look down to see my ribs bruised from the night before. They are blue and purple, it really hurts to breathe, I must wrap my ribs before I head downstairs. I head across the hall to the bathroom. I look into the mirror at my brown wavy hair and ice-blue eyes. After I get dressed in my favorite black oversized hoodie, that covers my hands and oversized blue jeans.

When I get to the kitchen I make Ben my so-called father some toast and scrambled eggs. As I was about to grab an apple off the counter a glass bottle comes flying towards my head I duck right before it can hit me. Which makes father madder that I was not hit. I see him stand up and start to walk towards me. As I'm fully up from moving out of the path of the bottle I feel a hand grab my hair.

" Pl-please I need to get to school" I whimpered.

" No, you are the one that caused this" he yells at me. The smell of alcohol strong on his breath.

As I think he is about to let me down he punches my already bruised ribs and throws me down. I can tell my ribs are cracked now from the repeated blows to my ribs. I slowly crawl to my shoes to put on my old dusty black converse. While trying not to move my core too much as it hurts to breathe.

Today is the first day at another new high school. This time we moved to Oregon as a "fresh start" this is what my father told everyone that we left behind. As I reach the front of the school I see people giving me a weird glance as I walk by. I hate when people look at me, they think they know who I am at first glance but they really don't. I just stare at the tiled black and white floor, as I walk into the school to find the office. Once I'm at the office I'm met with the Secretary, grey-haired lady with bright blue eyes, named Marissa Knight.

"What can I help you with dear?" she asks.

"I'm new to this school I need my schedule and locker, please." I say kind of nervously. Father hates it when I talk to other people.

"Here you go dear" as she hands me my schedule and map with my locker and combination at the top.

As I'm looking at my map I see my first class is AP History with a teacher named Mrs.Wright. I notice that my locker is on the way to class. I decided to stop by and put in my combination to put my extra pencil and notebook away. As I'm standing there I'm pushed into the lockers. I feel the pain of my ribs as they hit the lockers and want to curse at the person that did this. I turn around and there is a group of guys across the hall from me laughing.

"What are you laughing at?" I say to them.

Clearly, the leader of the group a 6ft 2in guy with jet black hair a crystal grey eyes says, " We weren't laughing, I'm sorry that happened." He points to a guy down the hall not paying attention to where he is going and says " We pissed him off earlier outside. He totally cooled off after what we did to him" in a sarcastic tone.

"Wh-what do you mean by what ha-happened outside?" I say not looking at him.

"Well, he didn't follow the orders I gave him." he said nonchalantly.

"Well by I have to get to class. Can you point me in the direction of AP History with Mrs.Wright?"

" You have AP History? I can walk you to class I have the same classes as you." then turning towards his group of friends telling them to catch up later, he starts to walk away. " Hey, what is your name? Mine is Leo."

"Nice to me-meet you Le-Leo, my name is Amara. Amara Faith." I really need to get out of this conversation before he thinks we can be friends and talk all the time.

" Well, we have made it to AP History with a minute to spare before the bell rings." as he sits in the back of the classroom. The teacher spots me still by the doorway.

"Well hello, my name is Mrs.Wright and I hope we can get along this year. Now, what is your name, young lady?"

Standing in front of the class I reply " My name is Amara Faith."

"Well nice to meet you, Amara You are going to sit in front of Leo Collman. Leo, please hold up your hand."

"Ok thanks," I say back. This is just great I am trying to not be noticed by anyone and talk to people. But here I am sitting in front of the only person who has paid attention enough to actually talk to me in 10 years.

* Thanks again for reading I hope you enjoy the book. Sorry for it not being very long. I hope over time they get longer as I get more comfortable writing.*