Crown Healer

LEAH SIN

"Uh— sleeping?"

I force my eyes to glaze with innocence as he stares hard, his eyes narrowing with intensity. The only thing I can do is to pray that he didn't notice the slight twitch in my fingertips.

"I had problems sleeping last night." I say, wondering why I was even lying in the first place. "I'm just a bit tired."

"Okay, then."

A slow, relieved breath rushes out of my lips as he turns away, his gaze leaving my face. Gosh, he was so damn intimidating.

Couldn't he just loosen up a bit?

"Come with me." He suddenly says, pulling on a dark jacket over his shoulders and tossing me a black sweatshirt hanging loosely on the back of a chair.

Were all his clothes that shade?

"Where are we going?" I ask as I pull it over my head, shaking out my hair. The sweatshirt is warm, and so large that it comes all the way down to my knees. It smells faintly of fresh soap, with traces of mint.

"Meeting."

I shoot him a look at the one-word response, shoving my hands into the deep pockets of the shirt and turning my face away from him.

Then he laughs all of a sudden— a soft, breathy laugh that makes my heart go all fluttering for a split second.

"You're so damn petty."

"At least tell me what it's about." I huff, trailing his steps through the Palace. "I don't know what I'm supposed to even do."

"I don't really know what this is about either." He admits, and I gape at him in disbelief as we enter a large, empty chamber. "I don't care."

"Why do you attend them, then?"

"I don't know." He sighs, glancing at the clock. "They're late."

Then the door bursts open, and both of us flinch in surprise as I see two women come through the room. The younger one's gaze flashes towards me, distaste clear in her veiled face as she scans me down from my messy hair and to the oversized sweatshirt I have on.

What's her problem?

"White Healer." The older-looking woman addresses, and both sweep into a graceful bow that I knew I'd probably trip and fall if I tried.

"Such an honor to meet you."

Taehyung doesn't reply for a second, and my eyes flicker to him to see his own move almost panicked over the two women.

Oh Lord.

"I hope you remember us from the Moon Dance last Season." The older one continues, her features aged but elegant. "You danced with my daughter."

From the look he has on his face, he doesn't even look like he remembers dancing last season, let alone her name.

"Why did you want this?" He asks, hiding the confusion in his features. "I don't have—"

"I'm here to offer you my daughter." The woman says, waving at her with a black smile on her lips. My mouth almost drops open as she glances at me.

"I have a wife."

"Are you actually serious?" She scoffs, and I can't help but shrink in her gaze as I tighten my fists around the black sweatshirt. "You can't be serious— marry my daughter instead."