Chapter 1: Corsets and Waistcoats

*13 years later*

The air smelled of wet grass from the early morning shower, however the sun gleamed brightly in the sky leaving no trace but said smell. The scene blew passed me as I peered out the carriage window.

"Andromeda darling are you sure you want to where that? I have a spare dress with me."

My thoughts were momentarily paused as I turned to look at Miss Kingsleigh, who looked me up and down with a warry smile. I looked down at my appearance and I guess she did have a point. It's not usual attire to wear when you are nearly 20 years of age and going to the "secret" engagement of your best friend. Plus it just reaches my ankles. Making it inappropriate if any shorter.

I wore a lilac colored dress making my eyes pop. A dress I had made myself. It had layers of fabric that tightened around my waist with no sleeves.

No corset and no stockings

No corset and no stockings. And my silver hair was tied into bohemian style braids with white lace all through out.

Most importantly though my mother's silver necklace was around my neck where it should be

Most importantly though my mother's silver necklace was around my neck where it should be. A bow and arrow at the end.
My dream in life was to make clothing for a living but no one seemed to quit understand my unique style.

I was about to open my mouth but Alice answered for me

"I think she looks perfectly fine mother." She snapped in an annoyed tone.

Here we go.

"Alice I was simply offering her an second option. She's part of the family now what hers is ours."

I suppose I should feel happy about that statement. It's not every day you get adopted by a great family who once owned an amazing trading company, now you went from poor to upper class.
But deep down in me I knew it just wasn't where I fit in. I belonged with my mother in our small shabby apartment in the lower class section of London. Where the place was filled with her light singing, as she cooked or sewed a new outfit. I can still picture her lovey face a beauty I couldn't live up to.

Unfortunately all that was taken away almost a year ago now. My mother grew ill and soon she passed after finding out.

I had no where to go and I was still practically a child. So the Kingsleighs took me in without question and soon my life was completely different then how it started.