Let the Games Begin

"Do you know big boss' s name?" Lavanya asked.

She hesitated. "I'm only allowed to say it when I'm alone with him."

"He doesn't make the rules for you anymore. Besides, you're never going to be alone with him again."

"Vikrant."

***

After finishing her second client meeting of the day, Khushi reached for her phone. She always put it on silent during her meetings so she wouldn't be distracted and checked for missed calls right away. There was one from Lavanya.

She'd been waiting for this.

She called back and as soon as Lavanya picked up, she asked, "How was the psychiatric evaluation?"

Lavanya had informed her earlier today that Anya had finally given her testimony. In addition to naming Amit, she'd also pointed him out in photographs. However, her statement would only count if she was psychologically sound, hence the psychiatric evaluation.

"She's as sane as you and me."

"Perfect. I have another client, but right after, I'm going to go file a restraining order on her behalf."

"Good," Lavanya said and hung up.

Khushi huffed. She'd wanted to ask what was going to happen with Vikrant next but of course Lavanya didn't give her the chance to speak.

She'd call her back later. Right now, she needed to get ready for her next meeting.

***

"Legally, he can't contact any of the girls by any means, whether by phone or in person or even through another person," Khushi explained to Sister Mary as they walked down the court steps. As the girls' legal guardian, Sister Mary had been the one to sign the order on their behalf. "In addition, he's restricted from entering both the hospital and the orphanage."

She handed a copy to SIster Mary. "This is only a temporary order for ten days. In ten days, we'll have another court date where Mr. Amit will be expected to appear as well. If things go well there, a permanent restraining order will be issued."

"Thank you so much, Khushi ji," the orphanage director said. "Who will inform him about this?"

"The court sent a notice to his lawyer, don't worry. He'll probably know in less than an hour."

"That's good. I'm going to see the girls at the hospital. Would you like to join me? I'm sure they'll be happy to meet you."

It was a good time as any to meet her future clients so Khushi agreed.

***

After N.K.'s shift came to an end, he stopped by Anya's room to check on her.

As usual, she was nose-deep in a book. When he cleared his throat, she looked up and smiled. "May I come in?"

"Yeah."

"How's the book?"

"It's so good. I--"

"Excuse me," one of the security guards interrupted. "Ms. Anya has visitors."

She stepped aside to reveal two women. "Sister Mary?" Anya gasped.

One of the women, a nun, rushed over to Anya. "My child."

Anya sank into her embrace, both of them weeping. The younger woman stood in the doorway, watching. When Sister Mary had calmed down a bit, she introduced her, "This is Khushi Kumari Gupta. She's going to help us."