The Ceremony

"We're here," Payal breathed as the car rolled to a stop.

"Hai Nand Kishore," Buaji said, clutching Payal's hand tightly.

"Alright, let's not get too nervous yet," Khushi instructed although her own heart was pounding. This was it. Payal was actually getting married.

Inside the hall, Akash was waiting for her.

And Arnav is waiting for me.

Shaking the thought away, she concentrated on helping Payal out of the car. As Payal adjusted her heavy skirts, wedding hall staff arrived. They ushered her, Khushi, and Buaji inside and upstairs to a room where they would wait until it was time for their grand entrance.

Vrishti Bhabi, Arjun Bhai and their kids were supposed to be here as well. However, they were taking so long to get ready that Payal and company were forced to leave without them. Privately, Khushi was grateful.

The door opened, and the events planner popped her head in, looking as frazzled as usual. "Ah, the bride's here," she said, relieved for a moment. Then her eyes widened. "But your party is missing a few people."

"They'll running a little behind," Khushi said soothingly. "But they'll be here on time, don't worry. And if not, we can start without them."

Madhumati gasped and Payal bit back a smile.

"Kidding, Buaji," Khushi said cheerfully. To the events planner, she asked, "Is the groom's party all here?"

"Yes, they're waiting in the next room. Mrs. Raizada is insistent that the groom and bride don't see each other yet, so please Ms. Pansare, don't leave the room until I come to get you. Is there anything you need right now?"

"Can we get some water?"

"Of course. I'll have it sent up right away."

The events planner left and Buaji worriedly looked down at her phone. "They're still not here yet. What if we really do start without them? Vrishti will make such a big fuss."

Then she should've come on time, Khushi thought with a scowl. As she tried to distract Buaji by pointing out the room's decor, there was another knock on the door.

"Is it them?" Buaji exclaimed eagerly.

"Come in," Khushi called.

The door opened, to reveal NK and Arnav.

Both Buaji and Khushi tried to keep their emotions from their faces, though for the former it was disappointment and for the latter, nervous excitement.

"Namaste, Buaji," NK said happily. "Bhabi you look beautiful. We've got a delivery for you."

Curiously, Payal took the package and unwrapped it under Buaji's equally curious eye. But though Khushi watched as well, she could barely see it. At this moment, her mind was full of the split second that she'd seen of Arnav. Dressed in a black suit, hair slicked back, eyes practically aglow--he looked like a dark prince.

My rajkumar.

She wanted to look at him again but didn't have the courage to. She'd taken twice as long as she normally would have to get ready tonight, making sure that not a thing was out of place.

And it seemed that her efforts had paid off. She could feel his eyes burning into her, taking in her red sari trimmed in a rich blue, her makeup effortlessly emphasizing her features, her hair hung free the way he liked it, and of course, his churiyan on her wrists.

If she looked at him now, she knew she'd be captured by those intense hazel eyes. And she was determined not to be rendered useless for the rest of the night.