Chapter 17 - Nerissa

While her body has become lighter than a feather, her mind weights the burden of an entire world. The walls around them are constricting, sucking up the air and leaving her breathless. Hundreds of questions are flooding her thoughts at once, unfolding various simulations, all cursed with the same tragic end - her grandmother gone forever. With teary eyes, she sways a glance over to the trashed pictures spread all over the floor around her, one in particular, drawing her attention - a family portrait. Two joyful parents, holding their daughter dearly to their chests, are smiling widely for the camera. She leans forward, barely holding the salty tears that are invading her eyes, and with shaking fingers, she grabs the idyllic testament from the ground, trying not to touch the shattered glass.

For a second, time freezes in the astral darkness creating a passageway to Susan's old words, which coming to life, are encircling her like a protective cloak. Sweet reminders of the unconditional love of her parents are giving her the strength to keep going. Nerissa found solace in them every time she missed them greatly, yet at such a young age she couldn't get the true meaning behind their story. Being infected is not something one wishes for, even so trading their lives for a painful death. Love, such a foreign word, so powerful and deadly. However, because of her grandmother, she knows what it means to be wanted, to belong. For her, this is where love begins and ends, all the same.

Roone watches her in silence, two clear crystals longing for her soft lips to start moving again. Instead, Nerissa's thoughts are caught in the past, when she knew nothing but happiness. Then, her face changes color as the image of the old toy chest pops in her mind, the only legacy she has left from her parents.

'Of course! That must be it!' She exclaims, making him flinch, then without any warning, she bolts upstairs, still holding on to the broken frame.

With her heart beating fast in her chest, Nerissa is sure that if Susan has indeed hidden something of such a value, that would put her life in danger, there must be it.

'Follow me!' She yells after Roone, once halfway up the stairs, her voice hopeful and boiling with anticipation.

It feels like ages ago since she last slept in her own bed, now a sad reminder of the past. Like a fire that's spreading without mercy, the rebels haven't missed this room, bringing with them the general chaos to match the rest of the house. With her senses numb, she throws herself down on her knees in front of a beautifully ornated wooden chest. Ignoring the axe stuck in the curved top, Nerissa's hands are trembling as she glides them gently over the coppery lock, hesitant and afraid of what she might discover. Roone, who's waiting patiently in the doorway, watches eagerly for her next move, nodding supportively when she raises her frightened stare back to him. To his signal, she opens the trunk, only to reveal a clump of smooth and colorful stuffed toys. Sweet memories fill her mind, every single one revealing its own childhood tale. Not losing her hope yet, she's driven to get to the bottom of the box, her rushing hands grabbing and throwing inanimate old friends out in the air. One by one, they start flying around, only to meet their end as they crush on the walls or onto the hardwood floor.

'It must be here. Whatever they are looking for, it must be hidden here somewhere.' Nerissa's mumbled words are filling the room, adding despair to the already disordered setting.

Roone steps closer to her thinking that perhaps his presence will calm her down and he'll get a peek of what might be hidden at the bottom. However, in the hail of lifeless puppets, he loses his focus as one of them hits him straight in the face, his hand waving it away rapidly.

While the sky starts to clear, the moon's silver light fills Nerissa's bedroom, its rays disclosing the empty chest and wavering hopes. By this time, Roone is certain their treasure hunt was a waste of time and they have to flee the house as soon as possible.