Chapter 28 - Nerissa

'Don't do anything stupid!' Luther jumps off of his throne, shaking and visibly awestricken. You heard her! Bring him in!' He adds through gritted teeth, his eyes fixed on the gun pointed to her head.

Soon the door slams open revealing two rebels carrying a barely conscious Nathan. His foot is still bleeding and the wound has doubled its size. He slowly raises his head towards the center of the room, choking with blood when he sees her bargaining for their lives. Nerissa gasps in horror at the sight of him, once a beautiful face, now painted in bruises. A swollen black eye covers half of one side, while the other is bleeding, leaving out only the light blue in a sea of red. She tightens the hold around the grip, as a burning wish of punishing everyone present flames her entire body. They lock their gaze for a second, while she watches him being dumped at Susan's feet, his cracked lips begging her not to die. Nerissa moves her stare away, battling the tears that are gathering at the corner of her eyes.

'Once I know they are out of here and safe to the surface, I'll do what you want. Not a second before that!' She yells, pointing all her anger towards the Great Commander. Then, hissing in disgust, she adds. 'You'll give them oxygen masks and a truck once outside and leave them alone!'

Nerissa clenches her jaw as she holds her glance. With no reservation, she takes off the safety, her hand firm and steady. Her plan will work. Susan and Nathan will live and all this nightmare is going to stop. Luther nods compliant, gesturing to his soldiers to do the same and escort the prisoners out of the compound.

'I underestimated you, Nerissa. Well played.' He applauds and sits back on his throne. 'Now that I've waited for so long to find a cure, I can wait a few more minutes.' He adds, bored and irritated by the nuisance of her demands.

With pained heart, she watches as her loved ones are dragged outside. This will be the last time she'll see them, for she knows very well she won't get out of this alive. Tears are threatening to gush over, however, she is determined to go on with her plan and save their lives. The radio buzzes, after what it seemed like an eternity, confirming their safe arrival outside the quarters. She breathes relieved, knowing her life won't end in vain.

'I told you I am a man of my words. Both of them are on their way back to the city. Now, drop the weapon.' He commands, impatient to get it over with and try the cure on himself.

Time freezes for a second. Tiny droplets of sweat are gathering at the base of her neck, while her heart is fighting to break out of her chest. Suddenly, her limbs feel numb, still, she knows what she has to do. The pact was to trade her life for theirs, but she didn't agree to give up so easily. She swore to herself she'd make them pay, all of them. Nerissa looks Luther in the eyes and smirks in triumph. They will all die a terrible death and she is more determined than ever to pull the trigger.

'No! Stop her!' He jumps to his feet, his white orbs wide open in horror, as he figures out her next move.

Nerissa closes her eyes and with clenched teeth, she's ready to end her life. At least, she won't break any promises made before embarking on this suicidal mission. She is indeed absolutely ready to fire. The thought makes her chuckle, but then her parents pop up in her mind, welcoming her from beyond the threshold. Afterlife won't be that bad in the end.

The rebels are all rushing to pin her down when suddenly all lights go off, creating chaos in total blackout. Nerissa opens her eyes, confused to be surrounded by darkness, for she is certain she didn't pull the trigger. A green light flashes the chest close to her for an instant, followed by a slight buzz and the sound of someone collapsing. Bodies start falling heavily one after another like gravity pulling back the waves from a beach. She quickly plunges to the ground avoiding the flying bullets around her, and covering her ears to muffle the screams. Black ops are flooding the room, commanding everyone to stay put when a voice she dreads from the bottom of her heart, chills her to the bone.