Part One

Something heavy falls on the floor downstairs, startling me.

"Urgh. Go play in the backyard with your soccer ball," Mom's voice booms.

Susie's little feet scuttle away while Mom grumbles and puts up the fallen chair.

I gaze around my bedroom, confused.

What was I doing again?

My eyes focus on the open notebook before me.

Ah, yeah. I was re-reading my paper to check if I had used the iteration formula correctly. If x0 equals minus 3, then...

Mumbling numbers, I scratch my head and validate all lines until...

Wait. That's impossible.

I answered 41 to the last iteration when it should be minus 9. I grab an eraser and fix it.

That was close.

"Sam, you won't have enough time for breakfast if you don't hurry up."

"I'm coming."

Hoping I didn't mess up other problems, I close my pencil case and shove it with the paper in my backpack.

In the kitchen Mom is burning her fingers trying to remove grilled bread from the toaster. I open the dishwasher and hand her the thongs with a kiss on her temple.

She sighs. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"My English teacher's still sick, so I'll be back around five. Bye."

"Won't you eat something? I can drive you to school. Susie's dentist appointment isn't until ten."

"I told Jenna I'd help with her history paper before first period." I stuff a piece of toast in my mouth and another one in my pocket. "Shanksh for breakfasht."

With a wave of the hand I rush towards the entry door. When I'm at the front gate, I remove the toast I'm chewing and yell. "Bye, Susie!"

No answer. That little rascal must be doing something foolish. I hope she's not digging up Mom's tulips again.

As always, I keep my head down when I walk by our neighbour's house. Children around here say Ms. Bogdan is a witch. She eats the frogs that venture into her garden, prepares potions when the full moon nears, and, if you look into her eyes, you can see the souls of the idiots who dared to mess with her. Of course, I don't believe these rumors, for I am sixteen, almost an adult. Still, better safe than sorry; I pretend to study the pavement until I reach the next house. This doesn't prevent me from feeling observed.

A loud cracking sound makes me jolt around. A sickening thump follows.

Then comes Mom's scream.