Part Three

A loud thump resonates downstairs, frightening me.

"Urgh. Go play in the backyard with your soccer ball," Mom snaps.

The fallen chair scrapes on the floor as Mom picks it up while Susie darts away.

My eyes flutter.

What was I doing again?

My maths notebook lays open before me.

Right. I was checking my paper. If x0 equals minus 3, then...

All lines are good, except...

Impossible.

I have answered "tree" instead of minus 9. Wow. I shouldn't have stayed up so late yesterday night. I grab an eraser and fix it.

That was close.

"Sam, you won't have enough time for breakfast if you don't hurry up."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming."

I shove my pencil case and the paper in my backpack.

Tree.

I stop in my tracks. My feet bring me to the window to have a look at the backyard.

Susie is climbing the old cherry tree.

I rush downstairs and past Mom, busy burning her fingers on the toaster.

"Susie, stop!" I'm out of breath and scared to death.

Mom follows me outside and shouts, "Susie! Get down here immediately. Your dad saw a rotten branch the other day."

Susie pouts but obeys, and climbs down the tree. "My soccer ball's stuck."

"Your dad will use the ladder to get it tonight. Now go wash your hands. Breakfast's ready."

We go back to the kitchen. I stuff a piece of toast in my mouth and another one in my pocket. "Bye, Mom. Bye, Susie."

Susie smiles at me, her face half-hidden by the bowl of chocolate milk she's gulping down. Mom kisses me on the cheek. "Have a nice day, darling."

As always, I feel someone staring at me when I walk past Ms. Bogdan's house. But today, for an unknown reason, I look back, and, sure enough, the neighbour is observing me behind a window.

She doesn't look that mean.

I have promised Jenna I'd help her with the history paper, but I shrug. Harry or Cecilia will.

I knock on Ms. Bogdan's front door. She opens it quickly, as if she were waiting for me. Her raven hair is disheveled, but her smile is warm and kind. Almost giddy.

"Good morning, Sam."

I cock my head to the side. "How do you know my name?"

She takes a step back, inviting me to come inside.

"I hear your sister calling when you play in your backyard."