Chapter 20 ~ Sorry Sorry Sorry

Kaito froze in place, eyes widening at the sight before him. Kokichi trembled as he held the gun, trying his best to wipe his eyes with his sleeves. The two stared at each other, both scared to make a move. Silence filled the room, the anticipation building up within them. Kaito couldn't understand why or how it was happening, questions filling his mind.

"Ko-," He started.

"No," Kokichi shouted, immediately interrupting him.

"Hold on! Don't do this!"

Kokichi flinched but didn't lower the gun. "P-Please don't yell at me..."

"Then put the damn gun down!" Kaito noticed Kokichi's trembling increase, sighing in annoyance. "You can't be serious. After everything we've been through-"

"And everything you've done to me."

"What? You said we were close!"

"Shut up!"

Kaito took a cautious step forward, holding his hands up in defense. "Kokichi, please." He tried his best to keep his voice calm.

"K-Kaito... I'm so s-sorry." Kokichi let out a sob, struggling to keep the gun up.

"Do you honestly want to kill me?"

The hurt in Kaito's voice caught Kokichi's attention. Kokichi stared up at Kaito, tears continuing to spill. "T-That's not-"

"Do you want me dead?"

Kokichi shook more, glancing at the camera then back at Kaito. "No... I don't..."

"Then put the gun down." Kaito spoke slowly, taking another step forward.

"I can't!" Kokichi stood up on the bed, trying to tower over Kaito, who growled in annoyance.

"Kokichi!" Kaito shot forward, barely avoiding a bullet as he tackled Kokichi to the ground.

Kokichi whined in pain, being distracted long enough for Kaito to snatch the gun. He ignored Kokichi's pleads as he raised the gun up to the camera and shot it. The camera fell to the ground with a loud thud, startling Kokichi into clinging to Kaito's arm. Kaito tried to pry him off, earning whimpers in response.

"I'm s-sorry," Kokichi said, repeating those words over and over again.

Kaito instantly gave up, deciding to let Kokichi cry it all out. Though he didn't have much patience left. He understood what Kokichi was going through. He could only imagine what all of this was doing to Kokichi's mental state.

"Kaito," Kokichi mumbled, sniffling a bit. "P-Please don't hate me. I know y-you wanted to win but I-I had to."

"Win," Kaito asked, his voice having a bit of edge. "I'm not him, remember?"

Kokichi tensed before relaxing slightly, lifting his head to look Kaito in the eyes. "B-But... you are. Aren't you mad?"

Kaito sighed, shaking his head. "No. The mastermind made you do this, right?"

"T-The mastermind!" Kokichi shot up, looking around frightfully for the gun. "She's gonna be mad."

"Yeah, well, you're not getting this back." He hid the gun under himself, sitting up as well.

"We don't have m-much time!"

"Then hurry up and explain everything! Why did she want you to kill me?"

Kokichi went silent, slowly moving away. Kaito was quick to react, pulling Kokichi closer.

"Come on, Kokichi. We don't have time for this. Look, I'm not letting the mastermind kill either of us. So the more I know, the better chances we have."

"B-But-"

"Just trust me on this one!"

"Okay okay!" Kokichi attempted to pull away, failing. He looked around before finally giving in. "T-Tsumugi is the mastermind..."

Kokichi began to explain, shaking more and more as the seconds passed. His eyes rarely left the door, terrified of what might come through. He wasn't sure whether Tsumugi would come herself or Monokuma. Even though Kaito shot the obvious camera, Kokichi knew it wasn't the only one and that Tsumugi was hearing all of this. His voice began to tremble more, at some points going quiet, resulting in things being repeated.

"Wait," Kaito said. "What s the new deal?"

Kokichi had been trying to avoid that, not wanting to answer the question that would follow. "Um... I'm getting t-there."

"You passed that part-"

"I-I'm telling the story! As I-I was saying, Tsumugi taped the gun around my stomach and-"

"Kokichi is there something you don't want to tell me?" Kaito sighed in annoyance.

"N-No! I just-"

The all too familiar sound of the door bell caught both of their attentions, Kokichi immediately beginning to scream.

---

🌿So like
I was typing one second
And somehow found myself looking for plushies on ebay in the next second???
I confuse myself.
Anyways, yeah terrible gun explanation. That's how he got the gun. I'll explain why a gun in some later chapter. There is a reason for it. Also I might upload another chapter today. If I don't somehow end up on ebay again-🌿