Chapter Twenty Two

This is my longest book and it isn't even close to finished. Oops.

Three weeks.

That's how long it had been since Talia had broken out of jail and taken Damian and Jason away from their family. Three whole weeks. Damian was beginning to lose hope that he would ever escape the hell that was living with his mother and a brainwashed Jason again when a golden opportunity arrived.

"I am going to test the waters." Talia announced as she came out of her bedroom dressed in street clothes.

Jason sat up at attention on the couch, a look of worry on his face. "Are you sure, mother? It has been less than a month, what if-"

"Are you questioning my decision making, Jason?" Talia narrowed her eyes at Jason, making her eldest lower his eyes and mutter a negative response. "That's what I thought. Anyways, I will be back in a few hours. I know you will stay put, like the good boys you are."

"Of course we will, mother." Jason nodded. "Be careful."

Talia kissed both her sons on the head before leaving the cozy house, locking the door from the outside. It was quiet in the house for a few minutes, neither of the brothers moving from their spots.

After five minutes Jason got up and closed the blinds, grabbing a paper and a pen off the counter and walking back to the couch where Damian was watching him curiously. Jason scribbled quickly on the paper and showed his message to Damian.

Mother has this place bugged, we need to communicate on paper.

Damian furrowed his brow at his older brother, cocking his head to the side. Jason sighed, writing for a few more seconds before sliding the paper back to Damian.

I checked the first night we were here. I know it seems like I am on mother's side but I have never been on anyone's side but your's. Believe me, I am going to get us home.

Damian hesitated only for a second before nodding. He looked around the room for any signs of the bugs before deciding to speak aloud. "Where do you think mother is testing the waters?"

Jason grinned. "Probably somewhere public but not too crowded, most likely a park or the grocery store. We are running low on food."

Damian took the paper and pen from Jason, humming an agreement as he wrote his own message. "I hope she buys more chai, I always loved the way she made chai."

How do you plan on getting us home?

I know what mother is planning, it will happen in a few weeks time. If I tell you what it is, you will act suspicious and mother will know and carry it out herself. But know this, Dami, I always have your survival at the top of my priority list. I am going to make sure you get home safe and alive, I just need you to trust that I know what I am doing. I have been working on this since I discovered mother's scheme and I know it will work. It is our only chance of you getting out of here alive.

Damian read the note, a sick feeling worming its way into his stomach. "What about you, Jay? Do you like mother's chai or do you think it is too spicy?"

Jason looked up at Damian and smiled tightly. "You know me, Dami, I can handle anything."

How are you going to get out of here?

Don't worry about me, like I said, I can handle it.

Jay...

Jason grabbed the paper and swallowed it, knowing that was the only way to truly get rid of the evidence of their scheming. He put the pen back where it was before looking back at Damian, shooting him a dazzling but very fake grin. "Hey, what do you say we practice what Mister Dimitrov showed us, hmm?"

Damian was about to continue questioning his brother when he remembered the potential bugs in the house and nodded. "Sure, any specific chemical mixture you have in mind?"

Jason's grin grew genuine. "I know just the one."

"Well then, what are we waiting for? Let's go to the lab."

The lab Damian was referring to was the fourth bedroom that Talia converted into a weapons room as well as a makeshift laboratory. It was where Jason and Damian were given their daily lessons on chemistry, weaponry, anatomy, and strategical maneuvers. The hand to hand combat training took place outside, the only time the brothers were allowed outside the house.

Damian took a seat at the lab bench, patting the spot next to him. Jason ignored him to gather the supplies they were going to need before taking his spot next to his younger brother. Damian looked over the supplies and cocked his head to the side, knowing better now than to voice his questions out loud.

Jason gestured to the chemicals in front of them. "We are going to try and make our own bomb from scratch." He winked, writing down his true intentions on a notepad.

We are making the chemical compound that will ensure your safe escape.

Damian nodded. "Alright, how do you want to start?"

Jason ruffled Damian's hair. "I knew you would see mother's point of view sooner rather than later. She is going to be so proud of us."

When Talia returned six hours later she was only slightly shocked to see scorch marks in the makeshift lab. She was listening in on the bugs, after all, she knew what her sons were up to.

Or she thought she did, at least.

Talia glowered at Jason and Damian, both of whom had freshly showered and were currently trying to clean the lab. They jumped when they heard the return of their mother, looking up in a panic when they saw the rage and disappointment in their mother's eyes.

"Mother...we tried to make a bomb from scratch, to prove to you that we can be valuable to the cause, but the bomb was defective and-"

"Just like you." Talia snarled, her fiery eyes staring straight at Jason. "Damian, dear, please leave us. Mother needs to have a talk with your brother."

"As you wish." Damian bowed his head, walking past Talia. He paused in the doorway to give Jason a look of sorrow before continuing on his way out, closing the door behind him. He walked a little ways down the hallway, stopping when he heard the sound of a slap even through the closed door and the distance he had put between them. He was tempted to go back but he knew he would only make things worse for Jason if he did.

And after all, Jason himself said it best.

Jason can handle anything.