Chapter Two

*Can You Be Any More Stereotypical?*

“Hey, are you going straight home after school?” Aira asks from behind me.  One of the reasons why she and I became friends is because of how we are seated near eachother in all of our classes.  That and we are both theater kids through and through. We've gotta stick together because of that.

I close my binder and turn around.  With a big smile on my face, I look at her.  “I was planning to, why?”

She awkwardly looks at me for a moment before looking away.  “Uh, well I was wondering if you want to hang out after school.  You know, see a movie or something? But now, never mind, it was stupid anyway.” She keeps her eyes glued to the door as if wanting to leave after this conversation.

“Hey! Wait a minute before coming up with conclusions weirdo!” She looks back at me.  I smile at her and she smiles back at me, making my heart leap again. "What movie?"

She shows me her phone screen, which has a 3D princess on it.  "Le Panda's new movie is coming out today! There are supposed to be great songs in it, which isn't unusual for the studio." She starts to mumble to herself incoherently. 

I laugh at her quietly before shifting in my seat and opening my binder.  Math problems line the paper, making me want to pull my hair out. Letters do not belong in math.  This isn't English class.

I swear, if America changed the way we do high school math, I wouldn't complain. However, knowing my luck, math would be even more difficult than it already is.  

"Are you having a difficult time with your calculus homework?"

I close my binder and stare up at Aira.  "Of course not!"

She shakes her head and smiles at me.  "Whatever you say." She stares at the clock in the classroom for a moment.  "The bell is going to ring in about five seconds you know."

I scoff and roll my eyes at the girl.  "Yeah right! Like I'm going to believe tha-" 

My voice is interrupted by the bell ringing.  Aira grins and grabs her binder. "Told ya! See you in a few minutes I guess?"

I cock my head to the side before staring at her directly.  "What do you mean?"

She smacks me gently on the head with her binder, a grin plastered on her face.  "You really are an idiot, you know that? Class is over you dimwit. Which means school is over!" She then walks away, her ponytail bouncing ever so slightly every time she takes a step.

I sigh while gazing at her back, only getting out of my tiny trance when she fully exits the room.  I open my binder to make sure that all my papers are in securely before sliding my chair out so I can stand up.  The squeaking of the seat makes me cringe.

I run a hand through my brown hair before allowing my feet to carry me out of the classroom.  Once I reach my locker, I open it and slip my blue binder into the messy locker.

"Aren't you lucky!" I jump at the voice who said that.  There stands an acquaintance of mine. While we aren't best friends, we aren't enemies either.  But honestly, can you really be enemies with anyone in high school?

I roll my eyes at the slightly immature boy.  "What do you want Kaz?" I cross my arms and stand there, my leg bouncing a little in anticipation for Aira and my hangout.

"Please, just here to congratulate you!  Not everyone gets a date with Aira you know."

I pat his shoulder and smile at him.  "It's not a date for one. Two, stop acting like she needs to conform to the school.  You and I both know that she is perfect the way she is."

He pushes my hand away and backs away.  "I wasn't saying anything bad you know! I just stated that she never dates anyone." We look away from each other awkwardly.  "You doing okay? You seem mad."

I shake my head and smile at him.  "I'm okay, just been dreaming the same odd dream every night.  I'm getting bored that my brain isn't being creative."

He slings his arm around my shoulder for a second before I push it off.  "What are you dreaming about anyways? Maybe my mom could help."

I laugh at him before shaking my head.  "That's not happening." I back up, not allowing him to come any closer.  “Like I said, what do you want?”

He shrugs and puts his hands in his hoodie pockets.  “As I said, I wanted to congratulate you on finally snagging Aira.  But obviously,” He grins as he continues to speak. “It isn't a date.  That means she’s free game right?”

I narrow my eyes at him, annoyed that he is this much of a sleazebag sometimes.  “No, she’s turned you down already once before anyways, why would today be any different?”

He once again shrugs at me.  “I don’t know, I’m just feeling lucky.”

"What are you, a search engine?" I stare at him, getting bored with this current situation.  Can he be any more stereotypical?

"I'm actually offended by that." He rolls his eyes and walks starts to walk away.  "Have fun with Aira." With the statement muttered, he disappears into some classroom.

I sigh and lean against my locker.  My eyes close as my mind wanders back to something that has been bothering me for a few days now.

That dream…

Word Count: 932
Overall Book Word Count: 2,042 (without chapter titles)

Author Note:
Sorry that this chapter was so short! I've been having major writer's block and wanted to get this done ASAP so I could further the plot.

Remember, while there is a romance subplot, it will not last after the underlying issue is revealed and addressed.

Have a great day and don't forget to vote and comment!