Chapter Eight

*Realization Part Two*

I stumble around, ignoring the stares and mutters surrounding me as I make a fool of myself in front of the public.

“See you later uh-”

“You’re such a fucking failure, you idiot.”

“I don’t want to leave my mom.”

“What if the technology fails?”

I cough as I fall onto the ground.  Why can’t the road be smoother?

“What if the technology fails?”

I scramble towards the house, my mom is on the porch.  She smiles and waves at me. “How are you doing sweetie?”

I look at her, unknown memories fill my mind.  My fist clenches as I stare up at her. “This isn’t real is it?”

My mom tilts her head, her brows furrow as she stares at me.  “What do you mean sweetheart?” She walks toward me and opens her arms.  I step back, making her drop her arms.

I point at her.  “You aren’t my mother!  I remember everything! This is not a perfect world, its a lie!  It’s not perfect!”

“You’re such a fucking failure!”

“My mother may not have been perfect, but at least I knew who she was!  She was real!”

My ‘mom’, smiles at me and walks toward me.  “Good job, you figured it out. But, I am your mother, I am the perfect version of her after all.”

I cross my arms and glare at her.  “I liked my mom better when she drank.  At least she was actually herself.” She tries to walk towards me but I back away once more.

Her smile is the same as yesterday and the day before, but somehow the kindness that I once saw in her eyes has disappeared.  Her eyes are cold and distant. Maybe it’s because I figured out what is going on? I have no idea but I do know that I can’t trust her.

“What happened?” I glare at her.  “Why am I stuck here?”

My ‘mother’ continues to smile.  “You aren’t trapped here. You will return to your life once the signal is sent out.  All of the memories that you gained in this world will be deleted. It will be as if you were asleep for eight hours.”  She gestures to some cookies that are on a small table outside. “Now, I made cookies. How about we eat some?”

I shake my head and glare at her. “How long have I been asleep?”

“Oh, so many unnecessary questions.” She looks at the cookies on the table sadly.  “Time is not important in the mind. So in truth, I have no idea. I am in your mind.”

“No, you’re just a machine taking care of me because the generations before me destroyed the climate!  You are not in my mind.”

She laughs.  “According to previous scans, you are intelligent.  So how can you have everything so wrong? I am your mind, I am what you want in a mother.  Your mind created me, I am only being regulated to make sure you are in the happiest state.”

“Well, I want you out!” Before she can reply I continue, “I want out of all of this! I don’t care how bad the world is, I want to live!  I am a living person. I want out!”

I stumble back as the world cracks.

“Look what you did.” I hear my mother’s voice.

The world continues to crack, the noise is absolutely deafening.  I cover my ears as the world continues to crack. “What’s happening?”

“We only wanted you to be happy.”  I jump at the sound of Aira.

“You shouldn’t have been such a buzzkill.” Oh right, Kaz is fake as well.

“No more trips to the store I guess.” Wait, the girl I met at Terra Topic?

“You made Aira sad.  You promised you wouldn’t.” Everyone I’ve met is fake.  I just need to repeat that in my mind.

I look around and notice that I am in a completely white room.  As I look around, I realize that my body seems to be glitching out and disappearing, starting at my legs.  

“Bye Cyrus!” Everyone’s voice coerces in glitched-out synchronization. 

The world turns black around me.

Chapter Word Count: 690
Official Book Word Count: 8,218