twenty five: nice wellies

Billie

Sunday had finally arrived. The rugby matched started at 10.00am so I woke up early and started getting ready. I applied some make up, but not too much. It was only a rugby game on a muddy field but I still wanted to look decent.

I had experience of rugby games from when my older brothers used to play for their schools. So I knew that the fields were always muddy and that you should never wear nice shoes to watch it. So I pulled on my finest grey joggers and an over-sized hoodie. I threw my hair up into a ponytail and wrapped Grayson's huge jacket around me.

Madison was picking me up to drive me to the game. I probably should have told her not to dress too nice. When she pulled up outside my house I pulled on my wellies and ran out to her car.

'Hey.' I said as I climbed into the passenger seat. 

'What are you wearing?' She asked straight away. She was staring at my wellies.

'Wellies.' I said. 'You know its gonna be really muddy right?'

'Shit, why didn't you tell me?' She cried. 'I'm wearing white trainers.' She pulled her leg up to show me her shiny, white shoes. I couldn't help but laugh. Of course she would chose those shoes to wear to a rugby match.

'Hey! At least my shoes will look better than whatever you've got on your feet, even covered in mud.' She laughed.

'I don't care.' I said. 'I don't want to ruin any of my shoes so you can say what you want!' I crossed my arms and sat back in my seat.

'Whatever.' Maddie said, still laughing. She turned on the engine and drove off.

It didn't take long to get to the rugby club, but the car park was packed of rugby players and men. Me and Madison were going to stick out like a sore thumb.

We got out the car and headed straight towards the field. But as soon as we stepped onto the muddy grass, Maddie stopped in her tracks.

'Oh no.' She said. 'Now I prefer the wellies.' I laughed and grabbed her hand to pull her across the field. She complained the whole way over to the pitch.

We stood next to the white line of the edge of the pitch and waited for the teams to come out. After about ten minutes of standing around, a lot of spectators had arrived. There were a few other girls our age, but mostly men. Soon enough the teams started coming out onto the field. I spotted Grayson from a mile away.

He was wearing a blue stripey rugby top, with dark blue shorts on. He had rugby socks and trainers on and he looked good in what he was wearing. I'd forgotten how tall he was and as he approached us he only got taller.

'They look good in that uniform.' Maddie had lent over to me to whisper in my ear. I giggled in response. I was just waiting for Grayson to reach us at this point. I knew that I was smiling way too much, but so was he.

'Hi.' He said as he reached me. 'Nice wellies.' He laughed, looking at my feet. I hit him playfully before he pulled me into a hug.

'I wish I wore wellies.' Maddie pouted and folded her arms. Ben pulled her into a hug and they had a quick kiss. My heart felt warm and fuzzy for my best friend. She never acted like this around guys. She usually just tried to impress them all the time.

'I brought your coat.' I said up to him. He smelt so good. I didn't really want to let go. I wanted to take whatever aftershave he was wearing and spray it all over me.

'It looks good on you.' He said softly so that only I could hear. His voice sent tingles down my spine and I felt myself blushing intensely. 'I have to go but I want us to do something after, okay?' He said as he ran off onto the pitch. I smiled at him and nodded.

Ben had run off as well so I walked over to Maddie and linked my arm in hers. It was a little windy so it was quite cold. I thought we better snuggle up because Maddie was definitely not dressed for the weather.

We stood and watched the whole game. I explained the rules of rugby to Madison at least three times but she still didn't understand by the end. I didn't really know what position Grayson was playing, but he was good at it. He was constantly tackling people and knocking people onto the floor. By the end of the first half he was absolutely covered in mud. I caught myself biting my lip while staring at him. I couldn't lie, it was turning me on a little. I pushed that thought to the back of my mind.

When there was a little pause in the game Grayson looked over at me and smirked. Obviously he saw me biting my lip and he knew exactly what he was doing to me. I had a feeling this was similar to when I was dancing at the party, but we'd switched places.

During the half time break, Grayson and Ben came to chat with us for a bit but they had to go and talk tactics with their team so they couldn't talk for long.

The second half seemed to be over very quickly. It mainly consisted of Grayson knocking people to the ground, getting more muddy and me not being able to take my eyes off of him. By the end, Madison and I had realised that she felt the same way about Ben that I felt about Grayson. We laughed at how silly we were.

It was hard to keep track of the score but by the end of the game, Grayson's team had clearly won. After shaking hands and talking to the coach, Grayson and Ben headed over to us. I grinned at Grayson and congratulated him.

As he walked up to me he started opening his arms as if inviting me for a hug. There was no way I was hugging him after he had gotten that muddy. I started stepping backwards away from him.

'No way.' I said with my arms out in front of me.

'Give me a hug.' He said laughing. I screamed and attempted to run away, but my foot got stuck in some mud and the next thing I knew, Grayson had his arms wrapped around me. We were laughing until I remembered I was wearing his coat.

'It's fine.' I smiled up at him. 'Because this is your coat anyway.' I giggled. I watched as his smile fell from his face.

'Oh shit!' He said. He let go of me and stepped back to see the damage he'd done. But before long he was laughing again. 

Grayson grabbed his bag and we headed up to the clubhouse. Ben and Maddie weren't far behind us. As we reached the building, Grayson reached into his bag. He pulled out his car keys and handed them to me.

'I need to go take a shower so you can go wait in my car if you want.' He said. I took the keys.

'Okay.' I said before he walked off to the building with Ben.

'Are you going out with Grayson then?' Maddie wiggled her eyebrows at me.

'Yeah, are you going out with Ben?' I teased back.

'Yep.' She said. 'I'm so glad we both found a man at the same time. And they're best friends as well so we can go on double dates!' She squealed. We headed back up to the car park and I walked her to her car.

'Have fun.' I said in a high pitched voice. I started to walk away to find Grayson's car before Maddie stopped me.

'By the way, obviously I go to school with Ben and Grayson, so I've been sitting with them at lunch and stuff.' She said with a smile on her face. 'And I can tell Grayson really likes you because whenever he's there, he always asks about you.' 

'Really?' I asked. My stomach filled with butterflies at the thought of Grayson talking about me.

'Yep.' Maddie said. 'Now go find his car before he gets back.' She shoved me away before getting into her own car to wait for Ben.

I wondered across the car park, searching for Grayson's car. As soon as I turned down one of the roads I saw it right at the end. I wasn't surprised that his car was black, just like everything he wears. 

I pressed the button on the key to unlock his car and climbed into the passenger side. I shut the door behind me before turning on the radio. I sat there for a few minutes, watching as people poured into the car park and started driving away.

Soon enough Grayson came walking out of the clubhouse in a fresh set of clothes and his sports bag in one hand. He smiled as soon as he saw me and the butterflies returned.