Tip 13: Participate in Contests

Another way to get your name circulating is to participate in contests. Other contestants are usually interested in who else is participating with them. A temporary sense of fellowship might form. It's a fun way to find other writers with similar interests or talents.

Tons of writing contests can be found at any time. Some are small, writer-led enterprises. Some are non-official initiatives spearheaded by Wattpad Ambassadors. A few are official Wattpad-run events. Here are a few ways you can find the right contest for you:

1. Check Wattpad's official Writing Contests page. On a computer browser, the link can be found by going to Write > Writing Contests. (Might be the same for the app.) Here's the URL: https://www.wattpad.com/go/writing-contests/

2. Search various tags. The following seem to produce decent results: #wattpadcontest #wpcontests #contest #writingcontest . A lot of fiction comes up in the search results because they are contest participants. You can always hunt down the actual contest by reading the story's description to find the name of the contest, and then search for the contest by name.

3. Follow the WattpadContests profile. It's run by Ambassadors and brings attention to both official and community contests that are happening around Wattpad.

4. Follow Wattpadders who like to announce useful things. I've been sporadic about it in the past, but I'm going to start making an effort to share more. Other Wattpad Stars often share useful information as well. Try checking out some of their profiles. A list of Stars can be found here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/191891763-wattpad-stars-directory.

I know of two Stars in particular who could be helpful. CrystalScherer has a book called "What's Up" where she posts writing updates, contest info, and other tidbits. AbbyBabble has a reading list called Self Help, which includes some contests. Worth checking out. If you know of someone who likes posting contests links, feel free to share their username here.