12.Double or Nothing

(Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to sofeeah_dee and her ONC story, Into the Clouds, you can never have too much LGBT Sci-fi!

And celebrating passing (just) the 10K mark... halfway there!!)

Kai studied the list in his hand. Short as it was, the list represented the current hard-won results of The Janus Project. When he'd joined the project three months ago, he was only the fourth person to qualify; now he was one of eight.

There were two columns of names on the sheet, some with addresses and others with a question mark. All the names on the left (Earth) were matched with more or less identical names on the right (Gaia). His own name was there, about halfway down. Kai Ewans on the left and Kayden Ewens on the right. There was a question mark where Kayden's address should have been, and that was something he still wanted to follow up, when he had the time.

The name at the top of both lists, "Kevin Russell", had a red line through the one in the left column. The Butcher's first victim, and the mark of his arrival in Gaia. There was a second red line through "Clive Jenkins" further down, on the right side. Two dead out of sixteen, leaving only six pairs who could now transfer between worlds. One thing was glaringly obvious, Kai was running out of time in his hunt for the Butcher—the Janus Project could not afford to lose another single person.

Kai wondered whether Ash had been involved in the Russell case, as well as Jenkins' murder. He chewed his bottom lip. Perhaps if he visited Russell's lodgings, he might get some clue as to where the Butcher had gone. Where he had holed up, afterwards.

Kai folded up the list and slipped it into his pocket. He was procrastinating and he knew it. What he really needed to do was contact Ash, and see if he could discover what progress he had made. For all Kai knew, Ash might already have the Butcher on his list of suspects. It was just going to be so awkward, now asking for Ash's professional help after they had become lovers.

~~~

Kai waited on the doorstep, a faint smile on his lips as he remembered the last time he had called on Ash early in the morning. Though somehow he didn't think he was going to get another invitation to come upstairs this time.

He'd thought things might be a little awkward between them but the last thing he expected was the furious glare Ash gave him as he flung open the door.

"What the hell do you want?" demanded Ash, folding his arms tightly across his chest and blocking the doorway.

Kai took an involuntary pace back, narrowly keeping his balance at the top of the steps. "Ash? What on Earth's the matter?"

"So now you recognise me? You bastard!"

"What? I don't understand what you're talking about."

"Don't you?" sneered Ash. "I'm talking about last night when you told me to my face that you'd never seen me before!"

"'Last night'?" Kai repeated blankly, struggling to make sense of this.

"Don't play games with me, Kai, or Kayden... or whatever your name is!"

What the-. Kai suddenly felt like a cartoon character with a light bulb flashing above his head, as he realised what must have happened. "Kayden? You've met Kayden?" he asked eagerly.

Ash blinked, cut off in mid-stream. "What?"

"My d-brother, you've met my brother!" Kai beamed.

"Your brother?" asked Ash, weakly. "Why didn't he say something? Instead of allowing me to..." His voice trailed off. He glared at Kai.

Kai smiled, placatingly. "We need to talk. Can I come in?"

There was an awkward pause before Ash stepped back from the doorway. "I suppose so," he said gruffly.

This time he led the way to the kitchen. Once they were seated on opposite sides of the table, he dove straight in. "So what's the story then? You have a twin brother?"

"He looks just like me, does he?" Kai was eager for details.

"Yes. Exactly!" Ash was frowning, as if he still had doubts about Kayden's existence.

"Look again," pressed Kai.

Ash shook his head dismissively, and sat back in his chair. He crossed his arms again. "You're indentical."

Kai could tell he was losing him. His brain scrabbled for something to convince Ash, short of finding Kayden and standing next to him. Obviously he and Kayden's clothes would be different but that would mean nothing. Anyone could have different outfits.

"But what about our hair? The way it's cut? That's something that can vary, even between twins."

For the first time since Ash had opened the door and glared at him, he looked at Kai properly. His brows creased. "Maybe. Last night you...uh, he...uh... it was different. Shorter. I think it was shorter."

Kai sat back in his own chair, relaxing. "Well then, I could hardly regrow my hair overnight. Two different people."

Ash's lips twisted into a wry smile. "And that's not the only difference. Apparently Kayden is dating my sister."