Chapter Nine

Portia stopped a short distance from the court. She reached into her bag, withdrew a document and handed it to Nerissa. 'Ask the way to the Jew's house, give him this will and make sure he signs it. We'll leave tonight and be home a day before our husbands. Lorenzo will be very pleased with this document.'

Gratiano came running out of the door of the court and down the street towards them. 'Dear sir,' he panted, 'I'm glad I've caught you. My Lord Bassanio, has, on second thoughts, sent you this ring and requests your company at dinner.'

Portia shook her head. 'It's impossible. But I accept his ring with gratitude. Please tell him that. One last thing: please show my youth the way to old Shylock's house.'

'I'll do so,' said Gratiano. He turned, and Nerissa began to follow him but then she ran back to Portia.

'Sir, I'd like a word,' she said. Then whispering: 'I'll see if I can get my husband's ring – the one I made him swear to keep forever.'

'That will be easy,' chuckled Portia. 'We'll get the old story that they gave the rings to men but we'll be able to contradict them beautifully. Off you go, hurry up. You know where I'll be waiting.'

'Come Sir,' said Nerissa, as she joined Gratiano. 'Will you show me to this house?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The moon was full and bright. Lorenzo and Jessica sat on a garden bench, enjoying being together. 'The moon shines bright,' said Lorenzo. 'On such a night as this, when the sweet wind kissed the trees so gently that they didn't make a sound – it was such a night, I imagine – Troilus scaled the walls of Troy and sighed soulfully towards the Grecian tents, where Cressida lay asleep.'

Jessica reached up and kissed his cheek. 'On such a night,' she whispered, 'Thisbe tiptoed apprehensively through the dew and, seeing the lion's shadow before he himself appeared, fled in dismay.'

Lorenzo thought for a moment, then: 'On such a night Dido stood on the wild coast, holding a willow wand, willing her lover to return to Carthage.'

Jessica smiled and searched her imagination. 'On such a night Medea gathered the magic herbs that rejuvenated old Aeson.'

'On such a night,' said Lorenzo, 'Jessica stole away from the wealthy Jew, and with an extravagant love, ran far away from Venice, to Belmont.'

'On such a night,' said Jessica, 'young Lorenzo swore he loved her completely, winning her soul with many vows of faith.' She paused. 'And not one of them true!' She gripped his hand tightly.

'On such a night, pretty Jessica slandered her lover, like a little shrew. And he forgave her.'

Jessica turned her head to listen. 'I would out-night you if we weren't interrupted. But listen, I can hear footsteps.'

Lorenzo got up. 'Who's that running around here in the silence of the night?' he called.

A voice came from another part of the garden. 'A friend.'

'A friend?' Lorenzo still couldn't see him. 'What friend? Your name, if you please!'

The young man, guided by Lorenzo's voice, found them. 'My name's Stephano and I've come to tell you that my mistress will be here at Belmont before dawn. She's been stopping at every holy cross, where she kneels and prays for a happy marriage.'

'Who's coming with her?' said Lorenzo.

'Only a holy hermit and her maid. May I ask whether my master has returned yet?'

'No. Nor have we heard from him. But let's go in, Jessica, and prepare a formal welcome for the mistress of the house.'

Lancelot's voice called from somewhere behind them. 'Who's that?' said Lorenzo.