Chapter 3: An Unexpected Encouter

Shuizhu's POV

"Miss, your mother is telling you to hurry," my personal maid Rouer quietly courtesy.

"I know, I know," I gazed upon my reflection in the bronze mirror and continue to put on rouge and pins.

"Doesn't she want me to look my best?" I asked while picking out hair pins, "Which one do you think looks better?" I held 2 pins to show Rouer.

"I think the silver pin looks better on Young Miss," she pointed to the dainty silver pin adorned with flowers.

"Really?" I held the pin to my hair, "Okay, I will do what you say.

After quickly stealing one last glance from the mirror I went out of my room to the front of house.

"Aiya," Mother sighed, "Hurry up, we are going to be late."

"I was making myself look pretty," I pouted, "I though you didn't want me to lose Gui family's face."

Mother sighed, "Yes, yes, all my fault. Didn't you not want to impress 1st Prince though?"

"Yes...but I still need to look my best and mabye I can steal the hearts of other dukes and princes." I smiled.

"Tsk tsk," Mother's eyes disapprovingly glanced at my face, "Take off some rouge first, even monkeys look better than you right now."

My hand immediately went to my face, "Why? I used the rouge that His Majesty gave me with the one Jialing won from the games."

"You put too much on daughter," Mother quickly smeared some rouge off, "We need to aim for a natural beauty look, I can't have you dress like those girls from those brothels."

"But this style is in trend right now, everyone is wearing it," I frowned, "How am I going to attract Noble Consort Wen and Prince Qianfeng's attention then?"

Mother sigh, "Just look at Noble Consort Wen from yesterday's banquet. Although she's a high ranking consort, she has simple but dignified clothing. Her makeup is proper within the ranks, not too loud but fits her complexion. All her jewelry matches her clothes and brings out the regality in her. Don't just follow what is popular now, the wind always change its course."

I nodded while Mother continued to explain.

"Remember daughter, when you want someone to like you, you have to study and know who they are, their values, types, and personality such such. Besides, I can foresee that other girls from other families will definitely dress like you today. Then you all would all blend together, but with you talking a more natural look, you would instead stand out to Noble Consort Wen."

I slowly nodded, "Wow, I didn't know there were so much meaning behind dressing up."

Mother smiled, "You'll learn as time passes, but your hair pin," Mother touched my silver pin, "This is a good pin to wear, it matches your complexion and your clothes."

I beamed, "Rouer helped me chose it."

Mother smiled, "She did a good job. Remember, when you are in front of the royal family, be polite."

I rolled my eyes, "I know, be polite, don't say anything improper, shine light on our family and more."

"Remember them well."

The road to the Forbidden Palace seemed quicker than it should. As I stepped out of the carriage, I gawked at the beauty of the red and golden architecture, the beautiful flowers and ponds.

"Ladies, please," the guard opened the door as we introduced who we are, "Please feel free to walk around the garden until Her Highness is ready."

We nodded and I immediately went to the bridge next to the pond. I smiled as I see the gold Koi fishes swimming freely in the pond. Unknowingly, my feet began to follow the direction they swam until suddenly I looked up and was lost.