i. HOW IT ALL BEGAN

(  PROLOGUE )

( PROLOGUE )

THE LITTLE TEN YEAR OLD BOY was outside with his father, hershel greene who was helping him put his backpack on. "Now, me, your mother, and Maggie are coming to hear your speech. I promise." Hershel smiles, James turned around. "That's one you said last time.." hershel looked down, feeling bad. "Is it because I'm- no no it's not." He interrupts, "you know I love you James, and I would do anything for you. I wouldn't miss this for a thing."

"We wouldn't miss this for a thing." Maggie says, coming out of the house with her mother. "Of course pumpkin." His mother smiled. "How come you don't have your glasses on?" Maggie asked, James sighed "come on, put them on." Hershel said, James reaches into his backpack and pulls out the glasses.

He puts them on, looking at his three family members. "Ahhh see, you don't look so bad." Hershel chuckled, "thanks dad." James said sarcastically which made Hershel smile. "Bus is here." Annette said, "ten am?"

James nods, "i'll see you guys." He hugs Hershel, then Maggie, then Annette. "Love you!" he waves, walking to his bus and going inside. "He's growing up." Hershel said, "it's kinda scary." Maggie laughed. "Scary? You ain't raising him." The three laughed, the bus drove away.

"I spy with my little eye....something grey." James looks around the bus, then back at his clothing "my shirt!" He chuckled, his friend sighs "man your really good at this game."

James smiled, "you ain't the first to tell me that."

The bus stopped, leaving the kids in confusion as they stopped in the middle of the Highway. Lots of traffic was present. "Kids, stay right where you are." The bus driver said before going outside to check on what's going on. James adjusted his glasses, sighing. "I should've stayed home."

"Dude, everytime I try faking sick my mom gets all scary at me. It's like she's a wizard, related to Harry Potter yes." James laughed, "one time, I-"

James heard someone scream, then a bunch of other people screaming. The bus driver came back in, but this time he was pale and walking slowly. "Uhh.james.." his friend said, eyes widen at how the bus driver was acting. Suddenly, he went and bit one of the girls who screamed. Blood gushed out, ripping her arm. Everyone screamed, James didn't know what to do.

Looking around, he got up with his friend and the two ran to the back. "Open the fire escape now! Like Mr. Cordon showed us!" James exclaimed. The kid struggled but opened the fire escape which the kids began jumping out of and running out.

James couldn't believe it, tugging on his backpack, anxiety ran through him. The traffic was horrible, more of the pale eating figures were present, things were lit on fire. He turns around, seeing a whole crowd of the walkers going towards him. He turned to run but stopped in his tracks as he saw his best friend on the ground bitten.