The Fords

Oh, this house isn’t so bad,” I cooed.

I lied. The house was beautiful.

It was a two story fawn colored house. The house itself has a paint job that was in need of a new one, but offered a feeling of homeliness. Green, crisp grass covered the yard; there wasn’t any nasty dried up brown grass. Fat blue gnome ornaments seemed to smile and welcome you as you walked on the pretty, curvy brick pavement.Mold grew in the right places, making the place seem like green was everywhere. White roses with mildew carved the pathway to the house. Pine trees the size of two tall men packed the earth, the trees were planted on the corners of the yard providing shade against the hot, burning sun.

The place seemed alive, and very peaceful.

Upon entering the house, it had an oriental door that had little tiny drawings of dancing stick figures. This place was so pretty! My mom was a liar!

I rang the doorbell.

Immediately someone answered the door, and it was a tall woman with blonde hair and blue eyes. She was beautiful, nothing alike to my mother.

This woman had facial features of a model, kind of like someone who went under the knife.

Her face was perfect. She had high cheekbones that she made more visible by applying bronze powder. Her nose was small and skinny and her blue eyes were almond shaped. Her trademark was her mole right above her eye.

It just seemed to make her look even more unique. “Oh! Sahra Williams! I was expecting you! She never told me you were so beautiful!” she smiled,

Oh god. Even her teeth are perfect.

“Beautiful child! You look much more like your mother! She was very beautiful back then; the boys couldn’t keep their hands off her. She was very popular indeed. You have her brown eyes and auburn red hair.”

“Yes, Mrs. Ford. You’re very pretty yourself.”

“Psh, oh don’t flatter me! Thank you for coming over here to take care of my two children. I tell you, they are angels in disguise from heaven!”

This lady loves her children.

“I hope so Mrs. Ford, I feel pretty special to take care of your little angels. So Mrs. Ford, you’re leaving for Cancun with your husband for four weeks am I correct? I just wanted to make sure because I only got here by word of mouth.”

“Yes dear, I will be paying you around three thousand by the time I come back. You should stay here for at least a minimum of eight hours. Good pay right? I will give you a debit card charged with money so you can prepare meals and such. I heard you took cooking classes when you were a ninth grader. By the way, my oldest son has a boo boo on his leg so he can’t take care of himself. He really wanted to go on this trip, but his boo boo is so bad he has to stay home. Please take care of him and put up with his behavior! He is still upset!”

“… Yes Mrs. Ford… I will take care of his… Boo boo. I will treat them like my own!”

“Yes! That’s the spirit dear! I will call them down in a jiffy!” she cried out. Mrs. Ford was so positive about everything it’s like you can’t be mad at anything or anyone. If murderers looked at her, they probably wouldn’t harm a fly in her presence. They would be too afraid to let her down.

I followed her around the house. The inside was much more extravagant.

She showed me her indoor hot tub, which she said I can use anytime. She showed me the outdoor pool and the two golden retrievers named Peanut and Butter (Hah!) and how much I should feed them daily.

She showed me everyone’s rooms and what to do in case of an emergency. She showed me how her two sons absolutely hated the crust of bread, bitter fruits, canned foods, eggs, nuts, tomatoes, vegetables, etc.

She dragged me along to every part of the house revealing the most useless history about the house including its furniture and décor. Stuff like, this vase was sculpted in Italy, there are only three of its kind.

She was a very nice person though, so it didn’t matter. I nodded my head, acting like I knew what she was talking about.

Finally, she called down her children. “Connor! Jeremy! Please come down to see your baby sitter!”

Seconds pass and thumping can be heard from upstairs. The thumping was uncoordinated and offbeat. Very fast like he was rushing. A little boy who appeared to be around his preteens rushed down clumsily. His hair was blonde and short; he was wearing a very baggy yellow striped polo shirt with torn jeans.

He looked at me, and sneered. His high voice remarked, “This is her? I thought we were going to get someone pretty, not ugly.”

“Mr. Jeremy Ford! You don’t dare say that to her! I did not raise you to be rude! Apologize now!”

All he did was smile his evil little smile and saunter back upstairs with his evil little legs. I am not ugly. I mean I do have imperfections like a nasty attitude but I was not ugly. Guys seemed to dig me actually.

But he was a kid, so I’ll let it go. I’LL DEAL WITH HIM LATER.

Mrs. Ford was worried. She was wondering if she should stay with me or go up to punish her son.

To soothe her I took her hand in mine and said, “Mrs. Ford I’m okay. It’s fine. Kids are like this and I don’t mind at all. In fact I used to do community service at my local elementary school and kids love me. Your children won’t be a problem.”

With her attractive light colored blue eyes she answered, “Oh yes. I did not tell you about my other son Connor. He is in fact the same age as you.”

“Don’t worry Mrs. Ford I’ll be fine! Go have fun on your vacation!”

I obliged to her and showed her the door. Mrs. Ford gave me a peck on my right cheek and thanked me. Soon, she was gone. “I’ll take care of your little children! Don’t worry!”

I stood around the window, staring blankly at the now empty garage. Huh, her two children. One is age nine and the other sixteen. Sixteen. Wait what? Sixteen? No freaking way?

I snapped back into reality, realizing what I just said about taking care of Mrs. Ford’s children. I, me, I am taking care of a sixteen year old?

What?