9 | Heir (I)

2412, Iclis 15, Kindreth

Nyxis smashed the mortar into his thumb the second time. He yelped as he cradled his throbbing finger. He's getting sloppy. How disappointing.

He's distracted, that's what. He kept staring off in the horizon, wondering where Xanthy could be right now. It took all of him to resist suggesting he go with her. Xanthy would shoot that idea down before the last word could even leave his mouth.

His anger and disappointment had hardened into a smooth ball in his gut. He doubted he could ever get rid of it. As much as he whined about not wanting it, it's embedded in him and would surface from time to time.

Blood rushed to his face when his thoughts steered him to last night. That's the closest they ever allowed themselves to be. It's useless to deny that he enjoyed it. That night, he gave in to his fantasy that Xanthy had finally chosen him. For a while, it felt like Xanthy truly returned what he felt for her.

It's a bit unfair, wasn't it? No matter how much Xanthy denied it, she would always choose the person who betrayed her while Nyxis was left doing everything he could to help Xanthy even while harboring secret feelings for her.

He lost count of the number of times he told himself this wouldn't go the way he wanted. Now that he proved himself right, what was he supposed to feel? Time. Nyxis needed time to get over these emotions that weren't bound to face any time soon. They both needed to heal, to move forward. Nyxis could, in due time, but Xanthy...it's hard to tell if she ever would or if she even wanted to.

She's stubborn as a bunch of raven fir flowers, to be honest. Nyxis prayed to the gods that she realize her real reason in doing this. Xanthy wasn't stupid. She's in love. With humans and fairies, though, that's about the same.

So Nyxis slammed the mortar on his finger for the third time. Ugh. Time to stop pounding nage seeds and take a break.

The door opened and a sandy-haired head poked through. "Knock, knock," Eldan inched through the doorway before closing the door behind him. "Just checking in before I head out. Are you guys alright here?"

Nyxis narrowed his eyes. Eldan's Ylanenla was slow, like he was speaking to a five-year-old rather than a grown human. Nyxis shrugged. "We will manage."

"Indulge me on this," Eldan stalked closer with his footsteps light against the floorboards. Nyxis averted his gaze. Stop studying the fairy. He surely meant no harm to Nyxis. Eldan stopped a few steps away from Nyxis before glancing at June then back to him. "How did you two meet Xanthy? Sahili and Marthiaq all told me vague details. I need to understand Xanthy better."

Nyxis sighed. Well, Xanthy never told him anything about talking to Eldan. It wouldn't hurt, would it? Why would even Eldan ask about it at this point in time? "We all met in Cardina," Nyxis turned to Eldan. "Have you got time to hear the whole story or should I give you a run-down?"