ch6 - idiots

"Is that a tattoo!?" The small idiot exclaims, examining the realistic volleyball on my arm.

"No, dumass. I'm still a minor. Why would I even have a tattoo?" I retort.

"Then what is that?" Hinata grabs my arm pulling it closer to inspect the volleyball on my arm.

"Paint." I yank my arm out of his hands.

"Wow Tsukki, I didn't know you knew how to paint!" Yamaguchi chimes is, looking genuinely surprised.

"I don't. I didn't paint it."

"Aawww, that so sweet-"

"HEY! Back to practice!" Daichi yells over us all. "Tsukishima, your serve."

I grab a ball off the ground. It's identical to the painting on my wrist.

I can't stand it anymore. Being apart from you. I though I could be content with what we had, being alone together. We both did give up finding each other years ago. We where ok then, but now that I've gotten a glimpse of them, I'm not ok anymore. This longing and desire for them has just been growing uncontrollably. It's frustrating not having them at my side. Even though they never have been.

"Try not to kill the ball with that glare." Tanaka says from the other side of the court.

I set up for a serve. All my frustration goes into my hit. Which is a little too much. It nails shrimpy in the face, leaving it red. An amused smirk takes over my face.

Kageyama turns to Hinata, furious (but when is he not) "Oi, dumass. You NEED to learn not to receive with your face! It doesn't just hurt you, ya know!"

Hinata was about to yell right back at him, but blood start to run from Hinata's nose and then blood runs from Kageyama's.

"And this is why you need to be more careful," Kaheyama continues, "If this was a match, we'd both be off court. Not just-"

"Ok you two, "Daichi says, voice full of authority, catching their attention "go get cleaned up right now and stop fighting!"

"Right, sorry." Hinata says. Walking away he turns to his bleeding setter, "It's not like it was my fault. Tsukki is the one who nailed me in the face with an over-powered serve."

"Well, you're suppose to receive that 'over-powered serve'," Kageyama took the words right out of my mouth as he argues with srimpy.

"Well I technically did re-"

"And NOT with your face."

Coach Ukai stands from his bench, "OK. We will end practice here for today. Everyone be sure to do your stretches and don't forget to lock up."

I grab a drink. We all clean up the gym. I take a spot on the ground next to Yamaguchi and being my stretches. I can still hear the two idiots continue to argue in the background.

Yamaguchi sighs, "It's only with incidents like that where I'm reminded that they're soulmates. They don't even seem like it, all they do is fight."

"Please," I remark, "they're the two biggest idiots in the world. They're practically made for each other."

"So cruel."

Yamaguchi and I get changed and make our way home. Living close to each other we walk home together often.

Now a days I find that I am constantly searching. I take note of each person I pass, I scan the streets and every person on it, I look for hands covered in paint. I'm always looking. I can't help it. My eyes scan the dark street I'm walking on. Taking in each movement, each person (not that they're many at this hour).

"What are you looking for?" Yamaguchi asks me.

"Nothing."

"No you're not, you've been looking for something for the past few days now." He points out. Nothing I do gets past him often. He's known me for too long.

I comply to his question with a simple correction. "Not something, someone." He should get what I mean.

"Oh!" He gets what I mean. "I though you gave up."

"I though so too."