12 • hifazat | حفاظت

•| security |•

•••
chain aaye mere dil ko ;
dua kijiye
•••

"Hello, Zarrar Hamidi speaking."

"Why is your phone busy from the past week?"

"Excuse me, who is this?"

"Haww Lala! How do you not have your only sister's number saved?!"

"Which sister are you talking about?"

"Lala, beghairati na karein! Ek behen ka to yaad nahi rehta aapko, khayalon mein kitni behenein paal rakhi hai aapne?"

(Don't be shameless, brother. You can't remember your only real sister and in your imagination you have more sisters?!)

"Kya chahiye, Layli?" Zarrar sighed, as he put the call on speaker, skipping through an important email.

(What is it?)

"Sunein, mujhe aapse baat nahi karni." Her voice boomed through the speaker.

(Listen, I don't want to talk to you.)

"Shahbash, mujhe bhi nahi karni. Khuda Hafiz!" Zarrar replied, ready to cut the call but, she screeched again.

(Good job! Neither do I. Bye)

"Lala, god give me patience. I pity your future wife. Not even a deranged bandariya will marry you with this attitude of yours.."

"Layli—"He sighed again, this time rubbing his forehead but, time his niece's equally screechy voice came through the speaker cutting him off.
"Mamuu! When are you visiting? Yasi Mamu said you'd buy us mango milkshakes."

"Warda Jaan, mango milkshakes aren't good for your health. Your Yasi Mamu is already a brain-dead leech. All his teeth are going to fall off because of cavities."

"No-way! Can I sell all his teeth to the tooth fairy for money?"

"You can sell him entirely if you want, Jaan."

"Lala, stop teaching my daughter creepy things!" Came his younger sister's voice again. "How is your phone busy from the past week."

"I am a very busy man unlike some people, Layli." Zarrar grumbled closely the email he was trying to read. It was almost impossible to go through it right now with his sister on her tail.

"How dare you—" She began once again but he hurriedly rebuffed her. "Aah I have a meeting now, unfortunately. I'll call you later, Byee!"

Taking a deep breath, Zarrar leaned back in his chair stretching as he mentally made a list of things to finish before going home. He was looking forward to going home and spending his time with Fidah. The past week they had been in continuous contact and everytime he replayed those conversations in his head his heart fluttered. Surprisingly after her nightmare-episode she had pretended that it never happened and he decided he wouldn't probe. They continued about their daily activities and he came to his office. He assumed she needed time and he was more than willing to give her that.