Bargain

~I love it when I hear you breathing, I hope to God you're never leaving~ Melanie Martinez.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Tag, You're It' by Melanie Martinez.

°°

Rainey

"Riley loves Cheetos so much." I chuckle, shaking my head while I slip the coin into the vending machine. "I mean, she will literally eat these over a homecooked meal any day."

Ansel smiles as he glances around the hospital's lobby, carefully observing our surroundings. "Reminds me so of much Alex. He has an unhealthy obsession with Doritos."

I smile as I retrieve the snack, slipping in another coin then tapping the skittles option. I crouch to grab the item, noticing that Ansel is intently staring at a man who is sitting by the water dispenser. The anonymous guy is dressed in full black; his head is buried in his cell as he seems aloof from his surroundings.

My brows furrow questingly. "Everything okay?"

Ansel's lips are pressed together while he nods. "Yeah..." He tears his eyes away, raking a hand through his hair. "It just doesn't feel safe here."

Twisting my lips, I scan our environment. A few people are sitting around reading magazines, nurses, and doctors are traversing to and from and I spot some kids playfully gliding along the slippery floor. I do not feel endangered, but Ansel's gut is probably telling him otherwise.

"Let's return upstairs then," I tell him, and he agrees, leaning off the wall as he offers to carry the snacks. However, my bladder calls for release almost immediately and I slightly squirm as Ansel notices the action.

"You okay?"

"I think I need to use the restroom."

He scours the area then locates the bathroom section some distances away from us. "One's over there, I'll wait for you here, alright?"

I nod and hasten to the restroom. I quickly use the toilet then begin to wash my hands, smiling at a little girl whose mother is lifting her over the sink to use the pipe. It reminds me of how loving my mom once was before she divorced my dad. It is a sad pity that her love for me suddenly faded overnight.

The toddler and her parent leave the space and I wipe my hands with a piece of paper towel before following behind them. As soon as I step out onto the lobby, something cold compresses into my side. I stiffen in response, feeling the raspy breath of someone as they whisper into my ear.

"If you scream, I will kill you then your friends."

I swallow sharply as my gaze drops to the metal weapon delving into my waist. My eyes travel to Ansel, who is speaking on his phone. His eyes are positioned in the opposite direction, thus making him oblivious to what is happening. I prefer it that way; I do not want him to get hurt.

"Come with me, and do not make a scene."

Adrenaline courses through me as I oblige, allowing the man to guide me around the corner and in the opposite direction away from Ansel.

I try to catch a glimpse of my abductor's face as he stealthily ushers me out of the hospital, but I am unable to do so since each time I shift my head he presses the gun harder into my body.