04| bonding

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

⎯⎨⌘⎬⎯

          My mood significantly brightens at the sight of my hooded companion nestled within his dark garb by the glistering turtle duck pond, truthfully I am slightly surprised he arrived before I did. Either way, I absolutely look forward to tonight's nightly get together.

"Lee, you came rather early today," I point out as I sank beside him, curling my legs against my chest with my arms snuggly enclosed around it.

"Yeah," he exasperatedly breathes out, "something happened today, so I had to rush to finish some papers before the deadline. I finished quicker than I usually would, so I came tad earlier."

"Ah, another stressful day, I suppose," I comment, an eyebrow quirks when noticing his head suddenly shaking.

"I wouldn't say it was entirely stressful, someone came for a— uh meeting. Surprisingly, I had an amazing time with them, I was honestly expecting it to be dull and a complete waste."

"But, obviously, they aren't as amusing as me," I manage to crack a smile on his features, he throws his head in sheer laughter, his cover somehow still intact.

"Seeing you is the highlight of my day," he states in a surprisingly delicate voice, my eyes instantly widen in awe with blood flowing to my glowing cheekbones. It seems to take a while for him finally realize what he said, as he smacked his palms against his head and faced me in, what a assume, is a distraught expression.

"I-I did not mean that—" his words directly pang my heart, my face crestfallen and he began making an 'x' with his arms in a frenzy, "No, I didn't mean that I don't enjoy your company, I just—" he sighs, covering his face from embarrassment by tugging on his hood, "I'm sorry, I was always extremely terrible with words."

Gingerly wriggling towards him, I spoke in a soft voice, "If it makes you feel any better, I think about you from time to time, wondering what you are doing at that very moment. Every day, I eagerly await seeing you at night, Lee."

He does not reply, which exactly is what I dreaded, and the complete eerie stillness made my gut churn tensely. Rigidly, I shift away from him, now maintaining a more extended gap separating us. I anticipate for a while, concentrating exclusively on the petite turtle ducks. Nibbling my lower lip in frustration by the lack of response, I stood up, prepared to evacuate to prevent further embarrassment. After hardly taking a single step to head towards home, I feel a familiar rough hand latch into my wrist.

My hand stiffens by the unexpected touch, deliberately whirling to gaze the sitting hooded figure. The lack of words somewhat agitates me. It is already a nuisance being unable to see his face, the everlasting silence further depreciates the probability of me distinguishing the current emotion revolving inside his head.

"Lee, please let me go. I'm deeply sorry for making you uncomfortable, I'll be taking my leave—" I gasp when he tugs me towards space beside him, his hands now settled over my rigid shoulders.

"As I've mentioned, I am terrible with words, though I prefer to believe I have grown better over time. And you did not make me uncomfortable, absolutely not, I would rather say- uh bewildered. I sincerely relish our moments together, and for you to say that— it truly warms my heart," he pauses as he retrieves his hands, modestly intertwining his fingers on his lap, "I, too, wonder about your whereabouts during the daytime, picturing what my pond buddy could possibly be doing," the last sentence instantly brought a smile on me, soft giggles leaving my lips. I can sense his hidden eyes gazing on me, a small yet remarkable smile gracing his pale lower features.

"I think you have a unique way with words, Lee. Can't imagine how terrible you deem yourself to be in the past," the weight on my chest gradually lifts up as I feel the bitter atmosphere around us swiftly evaporate in seconds.

Lee chuckles softly, warm breath fanning the peaks of my reddened ear, "Believe me, it was horrendous."

"Well, your message has made me incredibly content. I'm happy our sentiments are mutual."

| to be continued