Chapter 2

I walked down the winding staircase that served as an escape from the Southwest tower. Not that residents and visitors in my part of the castle really needed to 'escape'. It was the most elaborate of Castle Heshler's four towers, reserved for important royal dignitaries and merchant barons. I made my home there because, although I was certainly welcome in the royal wing, some of my duties required a level of discretion and distance from the rest of my adopted family.

My destination was a short walk down the worn gray granite corridor. Murmured greetings from the castle's executive staff were returned in kind. These were my companions and 'friends', after a fashion. Though they tended to keep their distance if I was acting in any official capacity. And some maintained even more distance than others.

I couldn't blame them. There was a certain degree of awkwardness associated with being a human truth engine who also served as a royal consort. I was not the kind of friend you wanted to share secrets with, if you wished them to remain a secret from your royal employers.

I entered the Queen's chambers as quietly as possible. The guards hardly gave me a second look as I slipped through the gap between their raised pikes. It was understood that my entry and that of the Queen was one and the same.

I announced myself with a simple, "Your Majesty."

Her immediate reply was, "I told you: Call me Lynne when we're alone, darling."

There were times when my training as a Witness and the desires of my Queen were at odds. This was particularly mysterious to me, as She had personally approved every aspect of my initial education. Over the last year, however, She often insisted that I break protocol. Protocol that She made law. Protocol that She was now countermanding by Her word, which was also law. But when I asked if we needed to change the rules as they applied to Witnesses, She said 'no'.

Earlier in the month, I asked Bruce what I should do in these situations. Bruce Tomlin is the castle's Master of the Household. He is the undisputed expert on everything having to do with protocol. I found his advice particularly strange, as I couldn't find reference to the procedure in any historical or legal document.

"Humor her." he had said.

So I did my best. I said, "Of course, Lynne. How can I be of service?"

Her reply was dry, like a cupcake left out in the Summer sun, "Yes, well, that sounded perfectly natural. Come, sit with me."

I walked to the center of the royal chambers to join my Queen on the edge of the bed. Her room was fairly plain by regal standards, but opulent when compared to that of Her average subject... having been one of Her average subjects, I would know. Before coming to the castle, I'd never seen a mirror that let me view the top of my head and the tips of my toes at the same time. I was unaware that a carpet could stretch from wall to wall, woven from sheep's wool and cut to fit the royal chambers exactly. It never occurred to me that one might have their own privy, rather than rushing outside to the outhouse on a cold Winter morning. And I didn't know that they built beds fit to sleep three side by side by side, like the one I found myself perched upon as Her Majesty regarded me.

"You know that the lupine ambassador and his entourage are arriving just before dinner, yes?"

My scowl drew quite the unladylike snort from the Queen. I schooled my expression as best I could.

"Yes Lynne, I am aware."

She slid a fingertip under my chin, before gently turning my head so that She could catch and hold my gaze. "My father infected me with that prejudice, and I in turn infected you. The last year and a half has taught me to be more circumspect. Despite my comment from before, you and I need to be of one mind on this. Do you understand?"