C H A P T E R • 27

VANESSA
■ • ■ • ■

I looked around the club, my eyebrows pushed together while Gabriel kept his arm around my waist possessively. While he had the most delicious alcoholic beverage I've ever seen, I was stuck with a Ginger-Ale in a champagne glass.

"You look miserable," Gabriel said with a chuckle, turning his head to look at me. I turned my head and tilted it back to look at him, finding him already staring at me with a grin.

"This just isn't how I expected our first night in New York to be," I explained, "but we'll be able to shop and have pizza once he's dead, right?"

"Once he's dead, I'll take you anywhere you want to go because you'd be safe," Gabriel said, leaning down to kiss me. I hummed, rubbing his spine before I pulled back, licking my lips.

"What is that? Strawberry?"

"Watermelon, actually," he responded, chuckling. "We have a booth waiting for us, princesa, so no more distractions. We have a plan and you're being... well, not you."

"I haven't done anything wrong," I muttered, following him to the booth. I sat next to him, feeling him kiss my cheek when I squeezed his knee. "Give me a better kiss, stupid."

Gabriel rolled his eyes and pecked my lips, then kissed me again but rougher. I moved a hand to the back of his neck, feeling his soft hair between my fingers from the nape of his neck. Gabriel's hand rubbed my hip and he smiled when I let out a tiny moan, parting my lips for him.

"No, Vanessa," he breathed out and I could just make out his eyes in the darkness surrounding us. "Professionalism is the biggest key tonight."

"Says the one who fingered me under the table at one of our biggest meetings," I said with a scoff, pecking his lips again. "You're such a hypocrite."

"I know I am," Gabriel said with a smirk, kissing me again. I pulled back, glaring at him. "Are you kidding me, Vanessa?"

"No."

Gabriel rolled his eyes and smiled. "God, you're moody." When I raised an eyebrow, he quickly corrected himself. "Not that it's your fault because... because I'm sorry for being a hypocrite."

I grunted. "That's what I thought. Now you get a kiss."

I pecked his lips and his hand went to my neck, cupping it while pulling me back for a deeper kiss. I chuckled, pulling away from him.

"Enough, Gabriel," I said. "Professionalism is the biggest key tonight."

"Don't use my words against me," he muttered, tightening his grip on my neck in the slightest.

I grinned. "I love you, too."

"No, you don't. You're a bully."

"A thirty-two-year-old drug lord calling me a bully," I muttered to myself, sipping on my Ginger-Ale once he let go of my neck. "That's a first."

"Shut up," he muttered. "We need to start scoping for Azazel, princesa. Keep your eyes open, okay? We need to find him to get our plan set into place."

I nodded slowly. "And what exactly is this plan? Because I heard a lot of you speaking, and Silvio speaking, but not so much of myself."