Chapter 31

I screamed as the most intense pain I’d ever felt ripped through my side. I had never felt a pain as bad as I had in that moment there. It felt as though my veins were being ripped out of my skin with fire replacing them.

                Black filled my vision as I cried out to the pain within me. I couldn’t tell what was happening around me. All I knew was death was right in front of me. I could practically feel it reaching its long painful fingers towards me, grabbing at my side.

                A high ringing sounded in my ears, which muffled the voices around me. I couldn’t make out a thing they were saying—not that I wanted to.

                At this point, all I wanted was the pain to end. I didn’t care how anymore.

                If death was to take me now, so be it.

                I screamed again as I felt my body moving. I could feel something ripping out of me, adding to the extreme pain I was already in.

                If possible, the pain seemed to increase.

                I couldn’t control the sobs that ripped through me. I cried as loud as I could, the automatic reaction to trying to sooth the pain.

                I couldn’t take it anymore.

                The pain was dominating me to a level that I couldn’t compete with.

                I let out one more scream and then blacked out.

                ~*~

                I opened my eyes to a blurry ceiling. I cringed at the shock of light, squeezing my eyes shut again. Bracing myself, I opened them once more to a clearer sight.

                I groaned, pushing myself up slightly. A gasp escaped my lips as pain shot through my left side. I fell back down on the soft surface.

                “Careful, now. You got a pretty bad wound” Clayton said quietly.

                I turned my head to the sound of his voice. Clayton sat next to me, his face

expression less. He was leaning over enough

that his hair hung off his head slightly. He was studying me closely.

                I bit my lip, looking away from his intense glare. A dull pain throbbed in my side, reminding me of what recently happened.

                I had no idea where I was, nor did I know how I got here. But I had to assume Clayton brought me here. Where was John?

                John…

                I cringed at the thought of him. He betrayed us. He tried to kill me. Clearly, he failed since I was still alive. Yet the attempt to kill me…