snowfall. | eugene roe

as requested by jussipogideonlaufeyson on tumblr

***

The fog was thick, blocking everyone's field of vision. The men murmured to themselves, trying to predict what the Germans across the field would do. As if on cue, a deep rumble echoed through the forest of Bastogne, and 1st Sergeant Lipton's eyes widened.

"Get in your foxholes," he yelled over the noise, and all the men began to run, jumping into the holes they had dug up days, or weeks prior. You weren't so sure how long it had been since you had all entered the forest.

Jumping into the nearest foxhole, you gripped your helmet, shutting your eyes so hard you could feel your brain rattling inside your skull. You imagined fireworks going off on the 4th of July, or the deep rumble of the cars passing main street. Hearing men crying for a medic, you forced yourself to think of why you were here in the first place.

You enlisted in 1942, much to the dismay of your mother. She was worried about you, being the youngest in the family, but the extra $50 was enticing, and your family could use the extra money. Stepping into Camp Toccoa, you didn't expect to be where you were today. The men realized you were different the first few days into training, but they never treated you like an outsider. Soon, you had grown to love each and every one of them, some a little more so.

Some being Eugene Roe.

You didn't believe in love at first sight, never have. But seeing him for the first time, leaning over a dummy to learn about the human body almost made you reject everything you thought you knew. But you didn't. Getting to know him, however, did.

Eugene was a quiet man, and almost always kept to himself. But in combat, you had never seen a braver man. Before the words 'medic' could leave anybody's lips, he was there, his hands bloodied, sweat dripping down his forehead. Outside of combat, he moved around the ranks, making sure each man was okay and taking care of himself. You liked to think he checked on you a little more.

You sat there in that foxhole, not realizing how much time had elapsed until Skip Muck jumped into the foxhole, startling you. "Y/N," he breathed, grabbing your head and hugging it tightly, "Goddamn, we've been looking for you everywhere. The Kraut bastards stopped ages ago."

You stared at him, dazed, registering his words. Pushing him off you gently, you took off your helmet and ran a hand through your short hair, the ends sticking up. You exhaled a sigh of relief as Skip helped you up and out of the foxhole, dusting you off but managing to cover you with more snow.

"You okay, buddy?" he asked, concern written on his face, "Let's get you some food." He didn't say anything then, but you knew he saw you trembling.

***

"Anybody seen Lieutenant Dike?" Lt. Peacock asked, bending over to speak to all the men.

"Try battalion CP, sir," Don replied with a sarcastic grin. With that, Lt. Peacock trudged away, and everyone burst into a fit of laughter.

"Try Paris."

"Try Hinkel."

And with that, you laughed more, your stomach nearly hurting. Babe and Spina had accidentally walked into enemy lines while they went off to look for medical supplies. Babe had fallen into a snow-covered foxhole, startling a German soldier who thought he was his comrade, Hinkel.

Through your peripherals, you saw Eugene seated under a tree, lost in thought as he almost always was lately. You walked up to him, taking your uneaten pancake and handing it to him. "Have you eaten anything?" you said, and Eugene looked up at you from where he was sitting, his dark eyes round.