passing cars. | joe liebgott

as requested by lia_hale_

disclaimer! she had requested a fic based on the liberation of the landsberg concentration camps in episode 9. this fic is entirely in liebgott's pov, and in no way, shape, or form am i belittling their experiences. i will never know the impact finding the camp had on these men.

***

Laying on a mattress that felt like clouds, your had your hands over your head to cover your eyes. "Germany might just be the best fuckin' place we've ever been to," you mumbled, nearly choking on the cigarette between your teeth, "No snow, no Krauts. Hitler shoulda shot himself ages ago."

David looked up at you from the notebook in his hands, shrugging, "It really is, but there's something definitely wrong about this place."

"Aw, shit Web" you replied, tossing your helmet at him, "You're just jumpy. We've had the best food we've eaten in months here." David caught your helmet and set it beside him, ignoring your comments.

Returning to his notebook, you rolled your eyes at him and lay back down on your bed.

Suddenly, "Joe, Web," a voice called, breathless, and you looked up to see Frank, "You two better get out here. We found something in the woods, and it's crazy."

David looked at you, an I-told-you-so look on his face, but the look on Frank's meant it was serious. "What is it?" you asked as David handed you your helmet, and you flicked the cigarette to the floor.

"I," Frank paused, trying to catch his breath, "I'm gonna be honest, I got no clue."

***

When Frank said they had found something in the woods, what you saw was the furthest from what you had imagined. You couldn't believe your eyes, and the first thing that hit all of you was the smell. What in heaven's name happened here? You understood now why Frank was so jumpy. Turning to look at him, he had a terrified look on his face. In fact, everyone had it on their face.

You turned away, walking back slowly to the truck. All the men were gathered up in front of the gates, and on the other side, prisoners faced them, clinging to the gate like their lives depended on it. Prisoners? Was this a prisoner camp?

"Liebgott," Lipton called for you, "Major needs you up front, right now." You bit your lip and jogged towards Major Winters who was trying to speak to one of the prisoners. You began talking to the man, his frail form trembling in front of you.

"Was ist das für ein Camp?" you asked him, What kind of camp is this? The man responded with a word you didn't know— Unerwunscht. "Unwanted, disliked maybe?" you said to Major Winters, whose eyebrows were furrowed.

"Criminals?" Major winters asked, and you asked the man in front of you in return.

"No," you translated as the man spoke, "Doctors, musicians. Tailors, clerks. Farmers, intellectuals. I mean, normal people."

"Juden," the man cried, "Juden." And your heart started beating in your ears, the air escaping your lungs.

"They're Jews," you mumble, fighting the thoughts that clouded in your head, "Poles and gypsies." The man turned to the east, and pointed towards beyond the fence.

"Liebgott?" Major Winters asked, looking at you expectantly.

You sighed, biting down on your lip to control your emotions, "The women's camp is at the next railroad stop."