6

Wind whistled past the ruins of the stone fountain which once was central to the square of Castle Town. Zelda took a moment to kneel and examine it, running her hands across the cool stone where the villagers once used to sit. She looked back at Link and smiled.

"This is it!" Zelda exclaimed. "Today is the day. Are you ready, Link?"

"Are you going to try to repair the fountain too?" He asked with a chuckle, walking over to where she began to stand.

She shook her head and giggled. "No, I think it's kind of boring, don't you?"

Link took her by the hand and spun her around once. "Where will people dance then? Surely you have to leave a space for people to fall in love together."

"Oh silly," said Zelda, bopping him on the nose with her index finger. "People can fall in love anywhere. Besides, I have a better idea."

He pulled her in close and touched his lips to her cheek before saying, "Oh?"

Flustered, Zelda looked up into Link's eyes. "I was thinking we could make it a sculpture of the champions, so that people would remember them forever."

"I like that idea a lot, my princess," he said, kissing her on the forehead and brushing back her hair.

She leaned her head into his shoulder and looked at the ruins of Hyrule Castle ahead of her. "Seriously though, are you ready? It could take years to see all of this get built up again. You sure you don't want to run while you still can?"

"A year, or a lifetime," said Link, "I don't mind watching the world pass us by as long as you're by my side."

"I—" she began, but was cut off.

Tender and easy, Link grabbed her from behind as he brought her in. She felt the rise of his chest as he released the extent of his passion into her. There were no words that had to express everything he was feeling. Pride, happiness, relief flooded and overwhelmed her system. This was his thanks, his approval, his everything, as he told her that he was glad to have been on the journey with her. He was ready to move on towards the light of the future, to take those steps with her. He would be with her no matter what.

"Thank you," she whispered, a final acknowledgement of everything.

He nodded and looked off into the distance. "Remember our deal, princess."

Zelda smiled. "Well then, I guess I just am going to have to admit that I love you."

"And I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that the same thought crossed my mind once or twice today," he said. "I love you too, Zelda. Now let's get ready, it's going to be a big day."

A throat cleared behind the two of them, surprising them both. Zelda touched Urbosa's ashes and tucked them into her outfit as she turned around. The construction crew Link invited was finally here.

"My, my," said a man in pink that Zelda didn't recognize. "When you said you had a job for us young man, I didn't expect this. And who might you be?"

"My name is Zelda, Princess Zelda—"she began.

Link finished. "Rightful heir to the throne of Hyrule."

"Well," Zelda said, rolling her eyes at Link, "you can't really be a princess without a kingdom to rule over, so to speak. So, I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, we could start to rebuild."

"Rebuild?" The construction worker asked. "Lady, this town has been wrecked."

"I suppose it is," she said. "But that's what you're here for."

He shook his head. "It's going to cost you a pretty penny, you know that, right?"

"I know," said Zelda as she looked at Link and began to smile with him.

She smiled, because yes, their old life was in ruins. But, there was one truth that Zelda held in her heart. Ruins and rubble could be rebuilt. Her kindgom would thrive once again someday, and she wouldn't give up, even if it took forever. She owed it not just to everyone else, but to herself to try.

And who knew, maybe someday, what they built would be better than what had been destroyed. For now, all the could do was try.