Chapter 3 - Part 1

Blake

Blake

A look from Cade pulled me out of my pity party. As much as I wanted to push my problem away because I didn't want to deal with it, I was the beta of the combined packs and I needed to put that first.

"Fine," I said before I shrugged his hand off my shoulder.

"We need to discuss the terms of Keri's release," Cade said as he walked around to the other side of the desk and sat down.

"You know after everything that's happened we can't trust her," I reminded him tersely.

There was no way we would be able to trust her and take her word that she would follow the terms that we agreed for her release. For all we knew she would agree to everything and once she got back to her pack she could change her mind.

"I know that," he said. "But we don't really have a choice at the moment so we're going to have to trust her."

"So how are we going to ensure she follows the agreement?" I asked. It was hard to talk about her without feeling a slight ache in my chest.

"We'll need someone to watch her until we're sure she won't screw us over," he said.

"Who?"

"It has to be an alpha. I think sending someone less than that into an unstable situation would be a mistake on our part," he advised.

He was right. He was an alpha but there was no way he would leave Scarlett. Scarlett had alpha blood in her but she was in no state to go anywhere. That left me.

"I can't," I replied hastily as I stood up. There was no way I would be able to be around her day in and day out until we were sure she was going to hold up her end of the deal. For all I knew it could take months.

"I wasn't suggesting you," my friend assured me. "After everything that has happened I understand that you wouldn't want to be around her."

The only other person that was an alpha was Kyle.

"Kyle?" I asked.

"Yes. I've spoken to him and as long as we keep an eye on his pack he is prepared to go with Keri back to her pack to keep an eye on her. His beta will be there to run the pack and his uncle Nate will also be able to keep an eye on things."

I felt a slight pang of guilt at the fact that I refused to do the job, but Kyle, who was Scarlett's brother—whose parents were murdered by her father—was prepared to push that aside and do what needed to be done. As much as I didn't want to be around her or even see her, I wasn't sure why I was suddenly feeling anxious about the fact that Kyle would be spending time with her. I pushed the unwanted feeling away, not liking how it made me feel.

"Sounds good," I said, trying to get back into my easy-going persona, but I wasn't fooling anyone.

"I'll sort out the finer details with him," Cade added.