Chapter 3 - Part 2

Blake

"So when are we going to release her?" I asked, sounding calm but my emotions were swirling inside of me.

"Tomorrow."

I'd been expecting it to be soon, just not that soon. I wasn't sure if I was ready for any of this.

"Why the hurry?" I asked.

"The longer we keep her a prisoner the more agitated her pack is going to become," he explained with a crease in his forehead.

He was right to look at me with concern. As an Alpha who had already run a pack, I would know this stuff.

"I'm sorry. I'm not thinking straight at the moment," I explained before I rubbed my hands over my face.

The truth was since I'd found out Keri was my mate, I'd been a mess. My volatile emotions clouded my logical thinking. I couldn't make decisions concerning her without my emotions taking over. It was a good thing that Cade was the Alpha because I wasn't so sure I'd be able to do the job at the moment.

"How long do you need?" he asked.

I stood up and began to pace. I wasn't sure how much time would help me accept the reality of my situation.

"A few days," I answered, rubbing the back of my neck. The tension in my body was tightening my muscles.

"Fine," he agreed before he pushed the chair back. He stood up and walked around the desk to stand beside me.

"Thanks, man," I said, feeling relief at putting off the inevitable for a few days.

"Sure, no problem," he assured me. "Before you leave, Scarlett wants to talk to you."

"Where's she?" I asked, wanting to talk to her as quickly as possible so as to be able to put some space between Keri and myself.

"Upstairs resting."

I could tell from the annoyance in his voice that it had probably been a battle of wills to get her to take it easy. A smile spread across my face at the thought of Scarlett.

She was strong and willful, which made her a perfect match for my hotheaded best friend.

"I'll speak to you again soon," I said to him before I walked to the door of the study.

"Sure," he said.

He sat back down at the desk and opened up his laptop as I left the study.

I climbed the stairs to the first floor of the house and walked down the hallway to the end. I knocked on the double doors.

"Come in," I heard Scarlett say through the door.

She was lying in the bed with her arms crossed over her chest when I entered the room. Her eyes brightened at the sight of me. Bruises still marred her face. She'd been beaten pretty badly by Victor. Being a werewolf had it perks and one of them was faster healing, so in a day or two the bruises would be gone.

It was still hard to believe that she'd killed one of the most powerful alphas. The fact that she hadn't grown up in a pack and until a few weeks ago didn't even know that she was a werewolf made me respect her more. She'd worked and trained hard to get up to speed with werewolves who'd trained their whole lives.

"Cade said you wanted to talk to me," I said, walking to the bed. I pulled a chair up and sat down beside her.

I had no idea what she wanted to talk to me about.

"Yes, I did," she said as she dropped her hands into her lap. Scarlett rarely looked nervous but there was no mistaking it. Whatever she wanted to talk to me about she was unsure of.