f i v e

To make up for the last chapters being short, I decided to make this one a long one. Hope you guys enjoy :)
**********

"W-what . . ." You shook your head, struggling to find your words as your wide eyes stared out into the burning city. Screams of terror and fear echoed throughout the skies, followed by the same roar you had heard the moment you stepped off of the bus.

"Wha . . . WHAT HAPPENED TO BEACH CITY?!" you yelled, clutching the sides of your head as you looked around, clearly panicked.

"(Y/n)?"

At the sound of the familiar voice, you jerked up and whirled around, only for your eyes to widen even more at the sight of your friend Connie, who was currently riding . . . a pink lion?

"Is that Steven's pet lion?" you questioned, your fear and confusion being replaced with sheer curiosity and wonder for a moment.

Connie didn't answer. Instead, she hopped off of the animal and ran over to you. She pulled you into a tight embrace and snuggled her face into your shoulder, making you blink in surprise as you stumbled back from the sudden added weight.

"W-whoa!" You slowly wrapped your arms around your childhood friend and patted her back when you realized she was starting to cry.

"Connie . . ." Ever so slowly, you pushed her away from you and wiped her tears away with your thumb, a serious yet confused expression on your face.

"What's wrong? What's happened to Beach City?"

You paused for a moment, hesitating to ask another question that was beginning to plague your mind. But then, slowly, you took a deep breath and asked:

"Where's Steven?"

Just as soon as you said that, a roar — one that was even louder than the last one — filled the dark skies, and you and Connie went tense as you both looked away and directed your attention out towards the flaming city.

Connie took a shaky breath and pulled away from you. She walked over to Lion and hugged him, her shoulders shaking.

"Steven . . . isn't technically here with us right now . . ." she eventually said, her eyes wide with fear and . . . guilt?

You frowned, your hair beginning to move with the quickening wind. "What do you mean?" you questioned, feeling as if you were on edge.

Connie hesitated. "I-I mean . . . he is here . . ." she began to trial off, glancing in your direction, ". . . just not mentally."

That only made more questions arise and you stared at her as if she had grown two heads. "W-what?" you shook your head and groaned, placing your hand against your forehead and pushing your bangs back out of your face.

"Connie, I don't understand. What do you mean he isn't here mentally?" Your eyes suddenly widened.

"Did he . . . go insane or something . . .?"

"Um . . ." Before Connie could even speak, another roar sounded through the skies. The ground shook, stopped, and then started shaking again.

Something was getting closer. And it was big.

Connie's face paled and she suddenly took your hand in hers and pulled you onto Lion's back with her, earning a surprised yelp from you.

"C-C-Connie! What're you—"

"I'LL EXPLAIN LATER, (Y/N)!"

A scream escaped your lips when the lion started running forward, towards the edge of the cliff. Instinctively, you wrapped your arms around your friends waist, not really wanting to fall off.