Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Cory

KENNEDY

The following morning I was called into Lance's office shortly after I arrived to work. It was a beautiful day outside. The complete opposite from the day before. Sunny skies, almost no clouds, and a very faint breeze. I'd dressed accordingly in a gray pencil skirt and a white blouse. I left my matching jacket in my office but brought my coffee cup with me down to see Lance.

I knocked rapidly on the door to Lance's office. It only took a couple of seconds before his voice rung out. "Come in." I took a deep breath and pushed the door open, hoping this would be the time I'd get some information about my assignment.

I was again impressed with the wide space of the office and the beautiful view from the large windows. A man was standing in front of Lance's desk. He turned when I stepped in and smiled over at me with a broad mouth, full of white teeth.

"Good morning," I greeted him and moved my eyes to Lance who just smiled, and back to the young Black man. He was still smiling. There was a hint of mischief in his dark brown eyes as he took me in at the same time as I looked him over. He had perfectly smooth chocolate skin and looked to be about my age, but could've been a few years younger or older. I wasn't very good at estimating age. He appeared to be about the same height as my brother but with a thinner build. What really caught my attention was how perfectly groomed and put together he was. Dressed in slim flitting dark slacks, a crisp white shirt, and a very colorful tie in red and orange, his dark hair cropped short and his face cleanly shaven, he looked like he'd belong better on a runway than in an office.

"Good morning," he responded in a softer voice than I'd expected.

"This is Cory," Lance introduced the young man.

"Hello, Cory," I greeted him and accepted his outstretched hand. "I'm Kennedy." His handshake was firm but not really authoritative.

"It's nice to finally meet you," Cory responded and his smile widened, and when it did his whole face lit up. He was beautiful, but not in the classical sense. His nose was a little too broad and his eyes a little too deep, but that smile could light up any room.

I looked back at Lance, waiting for him to continue and explain who Cory was and what his involvement would be with me.

"He's your assistant going forward," Lance summarized.

"Oh. That's great."

I could definitely use one, especially once we got busy with the project. I hoped he was efficient. So far I missed Louise and I hadn't even had much to do. She just had the ability to know what I needed before I asked for it. She kept me on track and made sure I was on time for all my meetings. Hopefully, Cory could fill her shoes.

"I'm looking forward to it," Cory responded.

"Cory has been with us for five years now," Lance continued. "He knows the ropes around here."

"Excellent!" I gave Cory an appreciative smile.

Lance nodded to both of us and got to his feet. "I need to head downtown to meet with the lawyers. If everything goes according to the plan, you will have a full copy of what exactly the project entails on Monday morning."

"Okay."

I was again wondering what this mystery project was about? What could it possibly be that required so much secrecy? Were we going to be dealing with the government? I decided to ask Cory about what he knew when we were on our own. The opportunity came sooner than I had expected.

"Do you want to grab a cup of coffee?" Cory asked me once we got of Lance's office.

"Sure." It was as good of a reason as any to get to know my assistant. Plus I loved coffee. An extra cup wouldn't hurt.