9. Witness to my despair.

Chapter 9: The only witness to my despair.

Dark hair swaying gently in the breeze as he bent towards the flowers, growing life in his hands. His golden eyes shining down like the sun on the leaves.

Seeing him with that tender gesture every day, he'd continued to grow on me. It would be nice if you could be my male lead, I'd thought. It would have been funny, don't you think? The Marquess' mad dog and the traitorous family's ex-noble.

But I snapped out of my thoughts. That was a rude thought and... it's too early for someone like me to have crushes. Maybe one day, if I survive this hellish house, and fate, I could search for someone.

...So I really want to survive.

Softly, my feet carried me to his side. I hadn't come by for the last two days; he probably thought I'd given up.

So when I quietly crouched down beside him, he didn't move away, and instead, his eyes looked into mine with surprise.

I gave him the best smile I could manage with my drained energy. His eyebrows furrowed. I was thinking a lot about if I should wear make-up and look more appealing, or try to gain some pity with this pathetic worn-out face of mine, and decided to aim for his commiseration. It's not like make-up would help much anyway.

I opened my mouth to speak, but what was I expecting? He immediately stood up to leave. "No, please!" Caught in a desperate panic, I grabbed his arm. "I need your help!"

In the next moment, my hand fell back to my side with a violent slap. I could only stare wide-eyed at the man who'd pushed away my touch like he'd been electrocuted.

"I... I..." I hadn't expected that.

I knew he didn't like me, and it was my fault for touching him...

...but to react to that extreme?

...Like I was some disease.

For a moment, an expression of guilt crossed his face but it faded just as quickly. I watched his back helplessly as he walked away.

No, I can't let this go... I really need his help. What can I tell him so he'll stay?

Shit, this hurts.

"I..." I spoke loudly. Anything. I have to say anything. The truth spilled out.

"I'm going to die."

He stopped... I quietly breathed a sigh of relief and watched with hopeful eyes, waiting for him to turn around.

But he didn't.

He continued to walk.

As if he couldn't care less if I died or lived.

I blinked in shock, staring up at his back from my place on the ground, a self-mocking laugh bubbling in me. Or maybe it was a cry.

Of course.

Of course that fucker wouldn't give a shit.

Ah, shit, this hurts. They're all making me feel worthless here. Is this how it's going to be? Once again, will my only salvation end up being Cassian?

Then I'll end up dead again.

I clenched my fists and grit my teeth.

If that's how it's going to be, should I beg?

Yeah, I'll go beg the ex-noble. This is about my life. He doesn't owe me anything; he doesn't have to help me but maybe if I beg, he'll soften.

I quickly stood up from where I was crouching and ran after him.